Dhara D. Surati
Clinical Assistant Professor
Pharmacy Practice and Translational Research
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
Health 2, Room 4014
4349 Martin Luther King Boulevard
Houston, TX 77204-5039
Contact: email@example.com - Office: 832-842-8346 - Fax: 832-842-8383
- Skills labs-based teaching
- Active learning
- Infectious diseases
- Scholarship of teaching and learning
- Doctor of Pharmacy, Summa Cum Laude, University of Houston College of Pharmacy, Houston, Texas
- Clinical Research Curriculum, University of Texas Medical School, Houston, Texas, 2009 - present
- 15th Annual Fellows Course in Hospital Epidemiology and Infection Control, July 6–8, 2011, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
- Infectious Diseases Fellow, University of Houston-College of Pharmacy, Houston, Texas, Mentors: Kevin W. Garey, Pharm.D., M.S., and Herbert L. DuPont, M.D.
- PGY-1 Pharmacy Practice Resident, Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center, Houston, Texas, Program Director: Bradley Domonoske, Pharm.D., BCPS
- Dotson KM, Aitken SL, Sofjan AK, Shah DN, Aparasu RR, Garey KW. Outcomes associated with Clostridium difficile infection in patients with chronic liver disease. Epidemiol Infect. 2018 May 9; 9(1-5). doi: 10.1017/S0950268818001036. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sofjan AK, Mitchell A, Shah DN, Nguyen T, Sim M, Trojcak A, Beyda ND, Garey KW. Rezafungin (CD101), a next generation echinocandin. A systematic literature review and assessment of possible place in therapy. J Glob Antimicrob Resist. 2018 Feb 24. pii: S2213-7165(18)30041-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jgar.2018.02.013. [Epub ahead of print]
- Das J, Fernandez J, Shah D, Williams L, Zagaar M. Case-based studies in teaching medicinal chemistry in PharmD curriculum: Perspectives of students, faculty, and pharmacists from academia. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 10 (1). 85-89.
- Shah DN, Chan FS, Kachru N, Garcia KP, Balcer HE, Dyer AP, Emanuel JE, Jordan MD, Lusardi KT, Naymick G, Polisetty RS, Sieman L, Tyler AM, Johnson ML, Garey KW. A multi-center study of fidaxomicin use for Clostridium difficile infection. Springerplus. 2016 Aug 2; 5(1): 1224. ecollection 2016.
- Shah DN, Aitken SL, Barragan LF, Bozorgui S, Goddu S, Navarro ME, Xie Y, DuPont HL, Garey KW. Economic burden of primary compared with recurrent Clostridium difficile
- Garey KW, Aitken SL, Gschwind L, Goddu S, Xie Y, Duff C, Barbut F, Shah DN, DuPont HL. Development and validation of a Clostridium difficile health-related quality-of-life questionnaire. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2016; 50(8): 631-7.
- Kilic A, Alam MJ, Tisdel NL, Shah DN, Yapar M, Lasco TM, Garey KW. Multiplex real-time PCR method for simultaneous identification and toxigenic type characterization of Clostridium difficile from stool samples. Ann Lab Med. 2015 May; 35(3):306-13.
- Na X, Martin AJ, Sethi S, Kyne L, Garey KW, Flores SW, Hu M, Shah DN, Shields K, Leffler DA, Kelly CP. A multi-center prospective and validation of a clinical prediction tool for severe Clostridium difficile infection. PLoS One. 2015 April; 10(4): eCollection 2015.
- Aitken SL, Joseph TB, Shah DN, Lasco TM, Palmer HR, DuPont HL, Xie Y, Garey KW. Healthcare resource utilization for recurrent Clostridium difficile infection in a large university hospital in Houston, Texas. PLoS One. 2014 Jul 24; 9(7):e102848.
- Aitken SL, Beyda ND, Shah DN, Palmer HR, Lasco TM, Koo H, Garey KW. Clinical practice patterns in hospitalized patients at risk for invasive candidiasis: Role of antifungal stewardship programs in an era of rapid diagnostics. Ann Pharmacother. 2014 Mar 31. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jardin CG, Palmer HR, Shah DN, Le F, Beyda ND, Jiang Z, Garey KW. Assessment of treatment patterns and patient outcomes before vs. after implementation of a severity-based Clostridium difficile infection treatment policy. J Hosp Infect. 2013; 85(1): 28-32.
- Shah DN, Bhatt NS, Welch JK, Koo HL, Garey KW. Defining acute renal dysfunction as a criterion for Clostridium difficile infection severity in patients with community-onset vs. hospital-onset infection. J Hosp Infect. 2013; 83(4)294-9.
- Beyda ND, Chuang SH, Alam MJ, Shah DN, Ng TM, McCaskey L, Garey KW. Treatment of Candida famata blood stream infections: case series and review of the literature. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2013; 68(2):438-43.
- Shah DN, Yau R, Lasco TM, Weston J, Salazar M, Palmer HR, Garey KW. Impact of prior inappropriate fluconazole dosing on isolation of fluconazole-nonsusceptible Candida species in hospitalized patients with candidemia. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012; 56(6):3239-43.
- Le F, Arora V, Shah DN, Salazar M, Palmer HR, Garey KW. A real-world evaluation of oral vancomycin for severe Clostridium difficile infection: Implications for antibiotic stewardship programs. Pharmacother. 2012; 32(2):129-34.
Awards & Honors
- Excellence in Teaching University of Houston College of Pharmacy, 2021
- Faculty Preceptor of the Year Award University of Houston College of Pharmacy, 2016