Julianna M. Fernandez
Clinical Associate Professor
Assistant Department Chair
Department of Pharmacy Practice and Translational Research
Clinical Specialist in Geriatrics, Houston Methodist Hospital
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
Health 2, Room 4024
4349 Martin Luther King Boulevard
Houston, TX 77204-5039
Contact: email@example.com - 832-842-8352
I am very involved in the Southeast Texas Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program (SeTx-GWEP) and work with multiple community partners to help educate and train healthcare providers of multiple different disciplines on how to best care for older adults. Some of the key deliverables that we focus on include pain management in older adults, the care of patients with delirium and/or dementia along with other mental disorders, elder abuse, and patient priorities. I am very interested in equipping our pharmacy students with not only the knowledge but also soft skills that are essential in working with the aging population.
I also am very interested in the scholarship of teaching and learning of how best to prepare and equip learners with the ability to critically think. I am also looking at best assessment methods for thought process.
- Board Certified Geriatric Pharmacist, Board of Pharmacy Specialties
- Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist, Board of Pharmacy Specialties
- Doctor of Pharmacy, cum laude, University of Houston College of Pharmacy, Houston, TX
- PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency, University of Arizona, Tuscon, AZ
- B.A. Spanish, Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, MO
- Adeola M, Fernandez JM, Sherer JT. Medication Management in Older Adults with Dementia. Dementia and Chronic Disease: Management of Comorbid Medical Conditions. 2020.
- Fernandez JM, Coyle EA. Fernandez J.M., & Coyle E.A. Fernandez, Julianna M., and Elizabeth A. Coyle.Urinary Tract Infections and Prostatitis. In: DiPiro JT, Yee GC, Posey L, Haines ST, Nolin TD, Ellingrod V. DiPiro J.T., & Yee G.C., & Posey L, & Haines S.T., & Nolin T.D., & Ellingrod V(Eds.),Eds. Joseph T. DiPiro, et al.eds. Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach, 11e. McGraw Hill; 2020.
- Skoglund E, Fernandez J, Sherer JT, Coyle EA, Garey KW, Fleming ML, Sofjan AK. Factors that Influence PharmD Studentsâ€™ Intention to Attend Lecture Using the Theory of Planned Behavior. AJPE. Dec 2019; ajpe 7550; DOI: 10.5688/ajpe 7550.
- Fernandez J, Thornton JD, Rege S, Lewing B, Bapat S, Xu Q, Fleming ML. Prescribersâ€™ perceptions on the impact of hydrocodone rescheduling on geriatric pain management: A qualititative study. J Opioid Manag. Sept/Oct. 2018; 14(5): 317-26.
- Das J, Fernandez J, Shah D, Williams L and Zagaar M. Case-based studies in teaching medicinal chemistry in Pharm.D. Curriculum: Perspectives of students, faculty and pharmacists from academia. Curr. Pharm. Teach. Learn, 2017; 10(1): 85-89.
- Fernandez JM, Tucker AM. Acid-Base Homeostasis and Acid-Base Disorders. ASPEN Fluids and Electrolytes, and Acid-Base Disorders Handbook. 2015.
- Wanat MA, Fleming ML, Fernandez JM, Garey KW. Education, Training and Academic Experiences of 2012-2013 US College of Pharmacy Faculty Members: A Survey of First-Time Faculty Members. Am J Pharm Educ 2013.
Awards & Honors
- UHCOP Faculty Preceptor of the Year, 2015
- UHCOP Excellence in Teaching Award, 2015
- Secretary/Chair - ACCP Geriatrics PRN, 2018-19
- Incoming Chair - ACCP Geriatrics PRN, 2019-20
- Chair - ACCP Geriatrics PRN, 2020-21