Research Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutics
Department of Pharmacological and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Office: Health 2
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
4849 Calhoun, Room N/A
Houston, TX 77204-5037
Oral Drug Absorption and Disposition:
Interplay of Drug Metabolizing Enzymes and Drug Transporters
Drug-herb Pharmacokinetic interactions via Phase II Enzyme and Phase III Transporters
Mechanism of bidirectional interaction of polyphenols and other xenobiotics with gut microbiome towards prevention of various pathological GI conditions A
ddressing the safety concerns associated with therapeutics drugs-gut microbes interactions Drug delivery Systems for local action in gut
Delivery solutions for fecal microbiota products or specific strains of microbes combined with prebiotics to improve colonization of desired microbial strains and efficacy of fecal microbiota transplant therapy in humans for treating C. difficile and other dysbiosis-related disorders.
- Ph.D. in Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, University of Houston, Houston, TX
- Masters in Pharmaceutical Technology (Formulation), National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER), Punjab, India
- Bachelor in Pharmacy (B.Pharm), Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Google Scholar Profile
- Bui D, Yin T, Duan S, Wei B, Yang P, You M, Singh R, Hu M. Pharmacokinetic Characterization and Bioavailability Barrier for The Key Active Components of Herbal Supplement Antitumor B in Mice for Chemoprevention of Oral Cancer (Journal of Natural Product, DOI: 10.1021/acs.jnatprod.1c00501)
- Tu Y, Wang L, Rong Y, Tin T, Gao S, Singh R, and Hu M. Hepatoenteric Recycling: A New Disposition Mechanism for Orally Administered Phenolic Drugs and Phytochemicals. Elife. 2021 Jul 1;10:e58820.
- Bui D, Li L, Yin T, Wang X, Gao S, You M, Singh R, and Hu M. Pharmacokinetic and metabolic profiling of Magnolia officinalis extract key active components against oral cancer using a validated LC-MS/MS method. J Agric Food Chem 2020, 68, 24, 6576-6587
- Singh R, Lu R, and Hu M. "Flavonoids Interference in Common Protein Assays: Effect of Position and Degree of Hydroxyl Substitution." Anal Biochem. 2020 May 15;597:113644
- Yun C, Dashwood WM, Kwong LN, Gao S, Yin T, Ling Q, Singh R, Dashwood RH, Hu M. Accurate quantification of PGE2 in the polyposis in rat colon (Pirc) model by surrogate analyte-based UPLC-MS/MS. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2018 Jan 30;148:42-50.
- Meng S, Wu B, Singh R, Yin T, Morrow JK, Zhang S, Hu M. SULT1A3-mediated regiospecific 7-O-sulfation of flavonoids in Caco-2 cells can be explained by the relevant molecular docking studies. Mol Pharm. 2012 Apr 2;9(4):862-73.
- Singh R, Wu B, Tang L and Hu M. Uridine diphosphate glucuronosyltransferase isoform-dependent regiospecificity of glucuronidation of flavonoids. J Agric Food Chem 2011, 59(13):7452-64.
- Yang Z, Zhu W, Gao S, Xu H, Wu B, Kulkarni K, Singh R, Tang L, Hu M. Simultaneous determination of genistein and its four phase II metabolites in blood by a sensitive and robust UPLC-MS/MS method: Application to an oral bioavailability study of genistein in mice. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2010 Sep 21;53(1):81-9.
- Singh R, Wu B and Hu M. Identification of the Position of Mono-O-Glucuronide of Flavones and Flavonols by Analyzing Shift in Online UV Spectrum (λmax) Generated from an Online Diode-arrayed Detector. J Agric Food Chem 2010, 58(17):9384-95
- Wu B, Morrow J K, Singh R, Zhang S and Hu M. Three dimensional Quantitative Structure-activity Relationship Studies on UGT1A9-mediated 3-O-Glucuronidation of Natural Flavonols Using a Pharmacophore-based Comparative Molecular Field Analysis Model. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2010, 336(2):403-13.
- Tang L, Singh R, Liu Z and Hu M. Structure and Concentration Changes Affect Characterization of UGT Isoform-Specific Metabolism of Isoflavones. Molecular Pharmaceutics 2009, 6(5):1466-82.
- Xu H, Kulkarni K, Singh R, Yang Z, Wang S, Tam V and Hu M. Disposition of Naringenin Differs from Apigenin and Is Affected by Compensating Efflux Transporters of Hydrophilic Glucuronides. Molecular Pharmaceutics, 2009, 6(6):1703-15.
- Yang G, Ge S, Singh R, Basu S, Shatzer K, Zen M, Liu J, Tu Y, Zhang C, Wei J, Shi J, Zhu L, Liu Z, Wang Y, Gao S, Hu M. Glucuronidation: driving factors and their impact on glucuronide disposition. Drug Metab Rev. 2017;49(2):105-138
- Singh R and Hu M. "Drug Metabolism in Gastrointestinal Tract" in Oral Bioavailability: Basic Principles, Advanced Concepts and Applications, Eds. M. Hu and X. Li. Wiley Press 2011, pg 91-110
Awards & Honors
- Co-investigator and study coordinator of Human PK Study "Pharmacokinetic Study of Antitumor-B in Healthy Humans" (ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04230057) (2019-2021)
- Annual USA Research Award 2017 by Biocodex Microbiota Foundation (2018)
- American Society of Microbiology (ASM) Science Teaching Fellowship (2016-2017)
- NIH Post-doctoral Training Fellowship under NIGMS Research Supplements to Promote Re-entry into Biomedical and Behavioral Research Careers (2016-2018)
- NIH Pre-doctoral Training Fellowship under Pharmacoinformatics interdisciplinary training program of the Keck Center of Gulf Coast Consortia (GCC) (2007-2009)
- Outstanding Chair Award for AAPS Student Chapter at UH, Houston (2008)
- Yoginder Nath Goel & Swaran Lata Goel Academic Achievement Award Endowed Scholarship, College of Pharmacy, University of Houston (2008)
- University Gold Medal and "Arun & Malvia" Medal for appearing first rank at University Level in Undergraduate Major (2001)
- Prof. M.L. Schroff Award presented by Indian Pharmaceutical Congress (IPC) for securing first position at All-India Level in Undergraduate Major (2001)
- GP NAIR Award presented by Indian Drug Manufacturers Association (IDMA) (2001)