Research Assistant Professor of Pharmacology
Department of Pharmacological and Pharmaceutical Sciences
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
Health 2, Room 5008
4349 Martin Luther King Boulevard
Houston, TX 77204-5037
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org - phone N/A
My research is focused on understanding the signaling and molecular mechanisms of skeletal muscle atrophy and hypertrophy; skeletal muscle regeneration; and muscle degeneration during muscular dystrophy. I am also interested in studying the metabolic changes in skeletal muscle under physiological and pathophysiological conditions and its impact on whole body metabolism.
- Ph.D., Biochemistry, University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India
- M.Sc., Biochemistry, University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India
- B.Sc., Biochemistry, University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India
- Roy A, Kumar A. Supraphysiological activation of TAK1 promotes skeletal muscle growth and mitigates neurogenic atrophy. Nature Communications. 2022 Apr 22;13(1):2201. doi: 10.1038/s41467-022-29752-0.
- Roy A, Tomaz da Silva M, Bhat R, Bohnert KR, Iwawaki T, Kumar A. The IRE1/XBP1 signaling axis promotes skeletal muscle regeneration through a cell non-autonomous mechanism. Elife. 2021 Nov 23;10. doi: 10.7554/eLife.73215.
- Parveen A, Bohnert KR, Tomaz da Silva M, Wen Y, Bhat R, Roy A, Kumar A. MyD88-mediated signaling intercedes in neurogenic muscle atrophy through multiple mechanisms. FASEB J. 2021 Aug;35(8):e21821. doi: 10.1096/fj.202100777RR.
- Parveen A, Wen Y, Roy A, Kumar A. Therapeutic Targeting of PTEN in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Molecular Therapy: the Journal of the American Society of Gene Therapy 2020, 29(1):8-9 DOI: 10.1016/j.ymthe.2020.12.014.
- Roy A, Sharma AK, Nellore K, Narkar VA, Kumar A. TAK1 preserves skeletal muscle mass and mitochondrial function through redox homeostasis. FASEB BioAdvances. 2020 2 (9), 538-553
- Roy A, Kumar A. ER stress and unfolded protein response in cancer cachexia. Cancers (Basel) 2019 11 (12), 1929
- Bohnert KR, Goli P, Roy A, Sharma AK, Xiong G, Gallot YS, Kumar A. TLR/MyD88/XBP1 signaling axis mediates skeletal muscle wasting during cancer cachexia. Molecular Cell Biology. 2019. 39:e00184-19. https://doi.org/10.1128/MCB.00184- 19.
- Roy A, Sarker S, Upadhyay P, Pal A, Adhikary A, Jana K, Ray M. Methylglyoxal at metronomic doses sensitizes breast cancer cells to doxorubicin and cisplatin causing synergistic induction of programmed cell death and inhibition of stemness. Biochemical Pharmacology. 2018, 156, 322-339.
- Roy A, Ahir M, Bhattacharya S, et al. Induction of Mitochondrial Apoptotic Pathway in Triple Negative Breast Carcinoma Cells by Methylglyoxal via Generation of Reactive Oxygen Species. Molecular Carcinogenesis 2017;56(9):2086-2103. doi:10.1002/mc.22665.
- Pal A, Roy A, Ray M. Creatine Supplementation with Methylglyoxal: a Potent Therapy for Cancer in Experimental Models. Amino Acids 2016;48(8):2003-2013.
- Pal A, Talukdar D, Roy A, et al. Nanofabrication of Methylglyoxal with Chitosan Biopolymer: a Potential Tool for Enhancement of its Anticancer Effect. International Journal of Nanomedicine 2015;10:3499-3518.
Awards & Honors
- Awarded 1st place, Postdoctoral Oral Presentation at the 2021 PPS Research Symposium, organized by the Department of Pharmacological and Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Houston.
- Awarded the EMBO Travel Grant - EMBO Workshop 2017 on "Mitochondria, apoptosis and cancer."
- Qualified CSIR-UGC National Eligibility Test (2011)