Associate Professor of Pharmacology
Director, Faculty Development
Department of Pharmacological and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Joint appointments: Psychology, Biology
Office: Health 2
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
4849 Calhoun, Room 5017
Houston, TX 77204-5037
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org - 713-743-7835
Hippocampus-dependent learning and memory, Cognitive disabilities and neuronal morphology regulation; Fragile X syndrome
New pedagogies, Educational outreach, DEI, Faculty Development
- B.S. in Biology, Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Spain)
- M.S., Michigan State University, E. Lansing, MI
- M.Ed., University of Houston, Houston, TX
- Ph.D., Michigan State University, E. Lansing, MI
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
Google Scholar Profile
- Tejada-Simon, M.V. (2019). Treatment with NSC23766 ameliorates seizure induction and death in FXS mice. J. Autism, 2:2-6.
- Martinez, L.A.; Tejada-Simon, M.V. (2018). Pharmacological rescue of hippocampal fear learning deficits in Fragile X syndrome. Molecular Neurobiology, 55(7):5951-5961.
- Martinez, L.A.; Tejada-Simon, M.V. (2018). Increased training intensity induces proper membrane localization of actin remodeling proteins in the hippocampus preventing cognitive deficits: implications for Fragile X syndrome. Molecular Neurobiology, 55(6):4529-4542.
- Ling, Q.; Tejada-Simon, M.V. (2016). Statins: New perspective for old drugs. Progress in Neuropsychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, 66:80-86
- Hoeffer, C.A., Tang, W., Wong, H., Santillan, A., Patterson, R.J., Martinez, L.A., Tejada-Simon, M.V., Paylor, R., Hamilton, S.L., and Klann, E. (2008). Removal of FKBP12 enhances mTOR/Raptor interactions, LTP, memory, and perseverative/repetitive behavior. Neuron, 60(5):832-845.
- Tejada-Simon, M.V (2021). Physiology going viral: redesigning active learning instruction. FASEB J., 35(S1)
- Tejada-Simon, M.V.; Silverthorn, D. (2020). Low-Tech Gamification and TBL Strategies to Teach Physiology. FASEB J., 34(S1).
- Tejada-Simon, M.V (2014). Preparing the Future Faculty Workforce by Analyzing the Postdoctoral Experience. The Online J.Qual.Hig.Edu., 1(4):33-39.
- Dewey, C. M.; Ismail, N. J.; Tejada-Simon, M. V.; Turner, T. L.; Culberson, J. W.; Coverdale, J. H.; Patton, C. S.; Thompson, B. M.; Friedland, J. A. (2007). Residents as teachers and leaders: Results of a needs assessment. J. Investigative Medicine, 55(1):S313.
- Tejada-Simon, M.V.; Ismail, N.; Culberson, J.W.; Friedland, J.A.; and Dewey, C.M. (2007). Prioritizing Residents' Needs: On the Creation of a Residents as Teachers and Leaders Program. Advances in Teaching and Learning Day Abstracts. Paper 5. http://digitalcommons.library.tmc.edu/uthshis_atldayabs/5
- Tejada-Simon, M.V (2021). Physiology going viral: redesigning active learning instruction. Experimental Biology 2021.
- Tejada-Simon, M.V.; Silverthorn, D. (2020). Team based learning strategies to teach physiology in Pharmacy Education. The Pharma Talks, forum in Pharmacy Education and Practice, Madrid, September 3-4, 2020.
- Tejada-Simon, M.V; Silverthorn, D. (2020). Low-tech gamification and TBL strategies to teach physiology. Experimental Biology (EB) San Diego, April 4-7, 2020
- Lazarus, M., Pattison, D., Hausmann, R., Reeve, K., Richdale, K., Schmidt, L., and Tejada-Simon, M.V. (2020). TBL for Administrators: How to Successfully Execute a Team-Based Learning Faculty Training. Team-Based Learning Collaborative national conference, March 14-15, Portland, Oregon.
- Tejada-Simon, M.V. (2018). Genomics, brain, and research into autism: Fragile X syndrome; invited guest lecturer. Universidad Complutense de Madrid, June 4-28, Madrid, Spain.
Awards & Honors
- Mentor for the Promoting Active Learning and Mentoring (PALM) network (2021)
- Finalist Teaching Excellence Award, University of Houston(2021)
- College of Pharmacy, Teaching Excellence Award (University of Houston, 2016)
- Early Faculty Award for Mentoring Undergraduate Research (University of Houston, 2013)
- Finalist Sisley-Jerome LeJeune International Award (France, 2010)