Krishna M. Boini
Associate Professor of Pharmacology
Department of Pharmacological and Pharmaceutical Sciences
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
Health 2, Room 5028
4349 Martin Luther King Boulevard
Houston, TX 77204-5037
Contact: email@example.com - Office: 713-743-9630 - Fax: 713-743-1884
Research in my laboratory mainly focus on the molecular mechanisms of renal glomerular injury associated with obesity and hypertension in particular the role of NLRP3 inflammasomes in obesity-induced chronic kidney diseases.
- Ph.D. in Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
- Master of Pharmacy (Pharmacology), Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, India
- Bachelor of Pharmacy, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, India
Google Scholar Profile
- Singh GB, Kshirasagar N, Patibandla S, Puchchakayala G, Koka S, Boini KM. Nicotine instigates podocyte injury via NLRP3 inflammasomes activation. Aging (Albany NY). 2019 Dec 13;11(24):12810-12821.
- Koka S, Xia M, Zhang C, Zhang Y, Li PL, Boini KM. Podocyte NLRP3 Inflammasome Activation and Formation by Adipokine Visfatin. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2019;53(2):355-365.
- Singh GB, Zhang Y, Boini KM, Koka S. High Mobility Group Box 1 Mediates TMAO-Induced Endothelial Dysfunction. Int J Mol Sci. 2019 Jul 22;20(14). pii: E3570.
- Boini KM, Xia M, Koka S, Gehr TW, Li PL. Instigation of NLRP3 inflammasome activation and glomerular injury in mice on the high fat diet: role of acid sphingomyelinase gene. Oncotarget 7 (14):19031-19044, 2016.
- Xia M, Conley SM, Li G, Li PL, Boini KM. Inhibition of hyperhomocysteinemia-induced inflammasome activation and glomerular sclerosis by NLRP3 gene deletion. Cell Physiol Biochem. 34: 829-841, 2014.
- Boini KM, Xia M, Abais JM, Li G, Pitzer AL, Gehr TW, Zhang Y, Li PL. Activation of inflammasomes in podocyte injury of mice on the high fat diet: Effects of ASC gene deletion and silencing. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1843:836-845, 2014.
- Abais JM, Xia M, Li G, Chen Y, Conley SM, Gehr TW, Boini KM, Li PL. Nod-like receptor protein 3 (NLRP3) Inflammasome activation and podocytes injury via thioredoxin-interacting protein (TXNIP) during hyperhomocysteinemia. J Bio Chem. 289: 27159-27168, 2014
- Zhang C*, Boini KM*, Xia M, Abais JM, Xiang Li, Liu QL, Li PL. Activation of NOD like receptor 3 inflammasome activation turns of podocyte injury and glomerular sclerosis in hyperhomocysteinemia. Hypertension 60: 154-162, 2012. (PMCID: PMC3443210). (*Shared first authorship).
- Boini KM, Xia M, Abais JM, Xu M, Li C, Li PL. Acid sphingomyelinase ameliorates hyperhomocysteinemic glomerular injury in mice lacking cystathionine-β-synthase. PLOS One 7: e45020; 2012. (PMCID: PMC34432010).
- Boini KM, Xia M, Li C, Zhang C, Payne L, Abais JM, Poklis JL, Hylemon PB, Li PL. Acid sphingomyelinase gene deficiency ameliorates the hyperhomocysteinemia-induced glomerular injury in mice. Am J Pathol. 179: 2210-2219, 2011.
- Boini KM, Zhang C, Xia M, Poklis JL, Li PL. Role of sphingolipid mediator ceramide in obesity and renal injury in mice fed a high-fat diet. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 334: 839-846, 2010.
- Boini KM, Hennige AM, Huang DY, Friedrich B, Palmada M, Boehmer C, Grahammer F, Artunc F, Ullrich S, Avram D, Osswald H, Wulff P, Kuhl D, Vallon V, Haring HU, Lang F. Serum- and glucocorticoid-inducible kinase 1 mediates salt sensitivity of glucose tolerance. Diabetes 55: 2059-2066, 2006.
- Nammi S, Koka S, Chinnala KM, Boini KM. Obesity: An overview on its current perspectives and treatment options. Nutrition journal 3: 3, 2004. (PMID: 15084221) (Highly accessed).
- Huang DY*, Boini KM*, Osswald H, Friedrich B, Artunc F, Ullrich S, Rajamanickam J, Palmada M, Wulff P, Kuhl D, Vallon V, Lang F. Resistance of mice lacking the serum- and glucocorticoid-inducible kinase SGK1 against salt-sensitive hypertension induced by a high-fat diet. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 291: F1264-1273, 2006. (*Shared first authorship).
- Huang DY*, Boini KM*, Friedrich B, Metzger M, Just L, Osswald H, Wulff P, Kuhl D, Vallon V, Lang F. Blunted hypertensive effect of combined fructose and high-salt diet in gene targeted mice lacking functional serum- and glucocorticoid-inducible kinase SGK1. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 290: R935-944, 2006. (*Shared first authorship).
- Service award from Association of Scientists of Indian Origin in America (ASIOA) for exemplary service to ASIOA, May 22, 2021
- Faculty Excellence in Research award from College of Pharmacy, University of Houston, Houston, TX, May 18, 2018
- Teaching Excellence award for group teaching from University of Houston, Houston, TX, April 26, 2018
- Kidney Council New Investigator Travel Award from American Heart Associations, September 18, 2015
- Renal Research Recognition Award from American Physiological Society, March 30, 2015
- Sudhir Gupta Young Scientist Award from Association of Scientists of Indian Origin in America (ASIOA), March 30, 2015
- Endowment Award from Center for Clinical and Translational Research, Richmond, VA, January 13, 2013
- VCU Postdoctoral Spring Travel Award, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, 2012
- American Radiolabled Chemicals Junior Scientist Award in Pharmacology by A Association of Scientists of Indian Origin in America, 2012
- Finalist Amgen Postdoctoral Excellence in Renal Research Award, American Physiological Society, 2012
- Outstanding Poster Award at German Physiological Meeting, Cologne, Germany, 2008
- Travel grant award from International Society of Nephrology, Forefronts Symposium, Ittingen, Switzerland, 2005
- Recipient of Special Appreciation Prize at National Seminar on Pharmaceutical Millenium, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, 2002