To provide medical students with the opportunity to conduct original research under the guidance of faculty members in the Biomedical Sciences Department of the College of Medicine, while learning about the importance of research and the scientific method.
- Applicants must be a medical student currently enrolled in the Tilman J Fertitta Family College of Medicine in good academic standing and have a strong interest in biomedical research.
- Medical students will gain valuable research experience and will have the opportunity to contribute to the advancement of biomedical knowledge.
- Medical students will have the opportunity to work closely with faculty members and develop valuable professional connections.
- Medical students will have the opportunity to present their scholarly work at a research day event.
- Financial support for travel to a scientific meeting and $1500 to students who complete the program.
- This program is specifically designed for medical students enrolled at Tilman J. Fertitta Family College of Medicine, providing them with the opportunity to gain research experience under the guidance of faculty members.
- Medical students will work with faculty members to devise a research plan, timeline and budget for a project that aligns with their interests and the faculty member's area of expertise.
- The program will run for 8-10 weeks during the summer.
- Medical students will be required to work full-time on their research project and attend weekly meetings with their faculty mentor to discuss progress and receive feedback.
- At the end of the program, medical students will be required to present their research findings at a research day event, where they will have the opportunity to showcase their work to the College of Medicine community. Students must submit a final report to the department following their research day presentation.
- Faculty and students will remain eligible for additional funding following successful completion of the program.
- $1500 to medical students who successfully complete the program.
- $4000 will be budgeted to the faculty member for research supplies.
- $1200 in travel funds will be allotted to medical students who have an abstract accepted at a scientific conference.
- All projects must follow all rules for human subjects (IRB) and animal care (IACUC) and all university lab safety protocols must be followed.
- Medical students will reach out to Biomedical Sciences Department faculty members to discuss a potential research project.
- Medical students and faculty members will collaborate to devise a research plan, timeline, and budget for the project.
- The student and mentor will submit an application including the research plan, timeline, and budget to email@example.com.
- Final decisions will be based on the feasibility of the proposed research plan, timeline, and budget, academic achievement, and alignment of the student's interests with the faculty member's research.