Applications for Summer 2020 Peer Assistants wil open in Spring 2020.
Role of the Peer Assistant
Peer Assistants (PA’s) work alongside members of the college advising staff during Freshman Orientation and Transfer Orientation to assist new students with their academic transition to the University of Houston. Because the position requires almost 30 hours a week in the summer, applicants wanting to take summer session coursework will need to have schedules approved by their college supervisor. Undergraduate and graduate students are encouraged to apply. This opportunity allows students to explore and develop interpersonal, professional and leadership skills that allow them to grow into exceptional student leaders.
Characteristics Peer Assistant members should possess and demonstrate the following:
- Strong knowledge of own academic area.
- Ability to learn and understand academic requirements.
- Understanding and support of the goals and philosophies of the University of Houston.
- Ability to encourage academic success and to motivate self and others.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to establish rapport with peers, students, parents, faculty and staff.
- Ability to serve as a role model demonstrating good judgment and ethical behavior.
- Ability to set a positive tone for interaction, demonstrating responsibility and respect for others’ rights, feelings, lifestyles, diverse backgrounds, and for personal and University property.
- Ability to work on a team and to be flexible.
- Strong demonstration of leadership abilities.
- Ability to navigate University of Houston website.
- Knowledge of University of Houston campus resources.
- Undergraduates must have a 2.5 or higher cumulative GPA and have completed at least 24 credit hours in residence at the University of Houston by conclusion of the current Spring semester.
- Graduate students must have completed one fall semester at the University of Houston.
- Available to work during scheduled New Student Orientation and trainings during the current Spring and upcoming Summer semesters.
Job Duties Peer Assistant members will be responsible for the following:
- Assist new students with questions about UHin4.
- Communicate with students as they opt into the UHin4 program.
- Communicate University of Houston academic policies and standards to new students.
- Communicate information regarding major and minors options to new students.
- Communicate information regarding course pre-requisites to new students.
- Communicate college expectations to new students.
- Assist with Academic College’s preparation prior to New Student Conferences.
- Assist with communication between Academic College and new students prior to New Student Orientations.
- Assist with class registration at New Student Orientations.
- Assist colleges with day to day office responsibilities, including but not limited to: data entry, answering calls, filing, and conducting benchmarking/research as needed.
- Assist Academic College with post New Student Orientation follow-up.
- Assist Academic College’s strategic planning for future terms and New Student Orientations.
- Housing is not provided as part of this position. Students should make accommodations for summer housing on their own.
- Part-time: approximately 30 hours per week, including selected work days outside of New Student Orientations during the upcoming Summer semester.