Questions & Answers - University of Houston
Skip to main content

Questions & Answers

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is my academic advisor?

You can see a list of NSM academic advisors and the majors/minors that they advise on the Undergraduate Advising page.

Why do I have a Bacterial Meningitis hold on my account?

Texas State Law (Senate Bill 1107) mandates that all entering students under the age of 30 must provide documentation that they have received the bacterial meningitis vaccination. Any student that does not provide the documentation will have a hold placed on their account. The hold will be removed once the official documentation has been received by UH. Please view the Immunization webpage for more information.

If I take a course at a community college, will it transfer into UH?

It depends on the course. Click on the link to view the Transfer Equivalency Guides. If you have any doubts if a course will transfer in, it is always best to ask your academic advisor. Keep in mind that students are allowed to use a maximum of 66 lower level (freshmen/sophomore level) transfer hours towards their degree. If you have over 66 lower level transfer hours, we will use the most degree-applicable hours first. Also, be aware that 24 of your last 30 hours must be done exclusively at the University of Houston; the remaining 6 hours can be taken elsewhere only if they apply toward core requirements or 1000-2000 foreign language courses.

What is the difference between a degree plan versus a major?

A degree plan is an official document that states which courses you have transferred into UH, which courses you have completed at UH, and which courses you have remaining in order to complete your degree. A major is your primary concentration of study (i.e. Biology, Chemistry, Math, etc.).

What is the difference between a degree plan versus a checklist?

A degree plan is an official document that states which courses you have transferred into UH, which courses you have completed at UH, and which courses you have remaining in order to complete your degree. A checklist in an unofficial advising document used to assist students with their course selections.

What can I do with my major after graduation?

The NSM Career Center is available to help you navigate career options, prepare for interviews, and find internships and employment opportunities. The NSM Career Center holds events and activities throughout the year developed for NSM’s STEM majors. University Career Services also has many resources and events related to career readiness and job searches. If you are interested in health-related careers, this NSM page and the UH Health Professions Advising program can help you on your journey. NSM’s teachHOUSTON program can prepare you for a career teaching secondary STEM science, math or computer science.

When do I apply for graduation?

You apply for graduation at the beginning of the semester you plan on graduating. The deadlines are posted on the Academic Calendar each semester. You may apply for graduation by logging onto your myUH account.

What is Core?

Senate Bill 148 requires the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to adopt rules that include "a statement of the content, component areas, and objectives of the core curriculum" which each institution is to fulfill by its own selection of specific courses. This created the Core Curriculum that all students are required to meet in order to graduate with an undergraduate degree. The Core Curriculum requirements can be found in the UH Catalog.

What is the NSM Capstone?

The NSM Capstone is required for all NSM majors. Click on NSM Capstone for more information.

Rules You Need To Know

C- Rule

No more than six credit hours with grades below C- in major specific courses. For example: if you are a Chemistry major, your major specific courses would be your CHEM courses.

Limit of Transfer Credit Hours

Only 66 lower (freshmen and sophomore level) credit hours can be transferred into UH to count towards a degree. There is no limit on the number of advanced (junior and senior level) credit hours that can be transferred into UH.

Last 30 Hours

Twenty-four (24) of the last thirty (30) credit hours to be applied toward a bachelor’s degree must be taken in residence. The 6 credits allowed to be taken at external institutions within the final residency may be used only for:

  1. Core Requirements
  2. 1000 and 2000 level foreign language courses

Breaks in Enrollment

Students who sit out for more than 13 months are required to reapply for admission to UH if they wish to continue their pursuit of a degree. At the time of their reapplication they will have to meet the current requirements for admission to UH for transfer and former UH students. As of June 7, 2013 NSM new (increased) requirements for students wishing to major in departments within the college have been put in place (see Transfer and Former Student Admission Requirements below).

Things to be Aware of:

  1. If you are readmitted, your degree requirements will be tied to the catalog in effect at the time of your readmission. This may result in your having to take coursework not required under your earlier catalog.
  2. If either your cumulative GPA, your cumulative math and science gpa and your cumulative GPA in specific math and science courses is less than 2.50 you will be denied admission to the college.
  3. This means that if, at the time you stop out, your GPA in any one of the three GPA categories is below a 2.50 you will not be eligible for readmission to the college.
  4. To resolve this problem you will need to take coursework at other institutions in order to raise your GPA to the level needed to secure readmission. Grades from other institutions can only be used for readmission purposes and not for purposes of graduation at UH.