Spring 2023 University Commencement
University Commencement Ceremony
College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
Date: Friday, May 12, 2023
Time: 7–9 p.m.
Location: Fertitta Center, 3422 Cullen Blvd
The University Commencement Ceremony for the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics will include all Spring 2023 bachelor’s, master’s and Ph.D. degree candidates from the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics.
At University Commencement for NSM, all graduation candidates will be individually recognized and will walk across the platform when their names are called.
The ceremony will be live-streamed for those who are unable to attend in person.
Tickets will be required for guests. Children two years old and younger do not need a ticket. Graduates participating in the ceremony do not need a ticket.
Each graduate was emailed a link to download their six (6) electronic, general admission tickets on Tuesday, April 11. All commencement tickets are complimentary. We do not condone the selling of commencement tickets.
Tickets can be transferred electronically. Updates on ticket transfer process are available on this UH Commencement webpage and in this document How to Transfer your Tickets.
Guest Ticket Lottery
UH introduced a commencement ticket lottery program which gives graduates an opportunity to give back unused tickets to the commencement ticket pool. Tickets that were given back by fellow graduates were reallocated to other graduates who needed additional commencement tickets for their ceremony.
The commencement lottery opened on April 13 at 10 am and closed on April 18 at 11:59 pm Central. The link for the lottery ticket request was sent in the UH Grad Chronicle email on Wednesday, April 12, with instructions on submitting requests. Email requests will not be considered for entry in the lottery. Please note, availability of extra tickets is not guaranteed and depends on the number of graduates and amount of returned or unclaimed tickets.
Students will be notified of the commencement lottery results by end of day April 19. If selected, your additional tickets will be available for pickup at the Graduation Celebration on April 21 from 9 am-4 pm at the UH Campus Store located in Student Center South.
For questions about commencement tickets, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fertitta Center, Clear Bag Policy
Fertitta Center enforces a clear bag policy to ensure safety for guests. Items such as backpacks, purses and diaper bags are not permitted, and guests are strongly encouraged to not bring any bags to the facility.
The following items will be allowed inside Fertitta Center events:
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12 inches x 6 inches x 12 inches
- 1-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc or similar)
- A small clutch purse no larger than 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches, with or without a handle or strap (These small clutches remain subject to search)
Exceptions will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection at the doors by arena personnel.
Information for Graduating Students
Cap and Gown
Graduation candidates will wear regalia (cap and gown) at the ceremony.
The deadline to order online was Tuesday, April 4, 2023. Beginning April 21, regalia can be purchased or rented at the UH Campus Store. For regalia questions, contact the UH Campus Store at 713-741-7095 or email@example.com.
NSM Stage Pass – Print and Bring to Commencement
Each NSM graduation candidate must arrive at commencement with their own Stage Pass. This pass will be emailed on Monday, May 1, 2023, to bachelor’s and master’s degree candidates and on Wednesday, May 3, 2023, to doctoral candidates. Open the email, read the instructions, and print the Stage Pass.
You must have this printed Stage Pass with you at the ceremony. As you prepare to cross the stage, you will hand this paper to the reader who will announce your name. An image on your phone does not take the place of this actual printed page.
Arrival Time for Graduation Candidates: May 12
- Bachelor’s Degree Candidates: Must arrive at 5 p.m.
- Master’s and Doctoral Degree Candidates: Must arrive at 5:30 p.m.
Graduating students will meet at the UH Athletics/Alumni Center on Cullen Blvd. Graduates need to follow the guidelines provided in the Fertitta Center clear bag policy. Only graduating students will be allowed in the Athletics/Alumni Center for line up.
Students with Special Needs
Please contact Tristan Sims at firstname.lastname@example.org to plan how we can best accommodate your needs on this exciting day.
Information for Guests
Arrival Time for Guests
Doors to Fertitta Center will open at 5:30 p.m., 90 minutes prior to the start of Commencement. Tickets are required for entry. Please see clear bag policy listed above. The building entrances on both Holman Street and Cullen Blvd will be open.
Guests with Mobility Needs
- Special seating is available, but limited. Please plan to arrive early.
- To accommodate as many mobility-impaired guests as possible, there will be a strict limit of one guest accompanying the mobility-impaired guest in the reserved seating area. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause your group.
Parking – Students and Guests
Parking for commencement is complimentary.
Due to unforeseen delays in road construction on Cullen Boulevard and Holman Street, Cullen Blvd will be closed to all vehicles between Elgin Street and Cougar Place Drive from 4 p.m., Wed, May 10, through Sat, May 13. All guests should plan to arrive 90 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony.
Commencement Parking Map
Driving/Parking Directions and Information
- Guests arriving via I-45 at Scott St or Cullen Blvd will be routed to Elgin St. The parking options include Zone A by the intramural fields, Zone B in front of the Arts District (Lots 16B, 16C and 16D), or the Elgin Street Garage (4224 Elgin St).
- ADA-accessible shuttle buses will be available to transport guests between theses lots and Fertitta Center. Shuttle stops are located at Elgin Street Garage (Visitor Entrance), Zone A (along Elgin), Zone B (at the Blaffer Art Museum and at the Moores Opera House).
- Traffic arriving from south of campus (Cullen Blvd and N. McGregor Way; Scott St; Wheeler Ave) can park in Zone F, adjacent to TDECU Stadium (Lots 12A and 12B located off Cougar Place Dr)
- Graduate and rideshare drop-offs for Fertitta Center ceremonies will be located in Zone B, Lot 16B, off Elgin St.
- Access to Holman St from Scott St will be temporarily closed, and the Stadium Garage will be unavailable for parking.
Check the UH Commencement webpage regularly for the most current information.
If you have questions, please contact UH Commencement at email@example.com or NSM Commencement planning at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Past Ceremonies Archive
Class of 2020 Ceremony Archive