Pioneering the way
Our very own, Katie Geter, Coordinator of Rec Sports & Family Programs has joined forces with the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA) to highlight pivotal campus recreation figures. These pioneers have trailblazed the way for Black professionals to make an impact within and beyond NIRSA!
Through this series, Katie explores each figures’ profile, their pathway to NIRSA leadership and call to service. Katie notes that each figure expressed a deep sense of responsibility they hold to push the needle forward originally started by the 20 black founding members of the NIA. You can check out the NIRSA Member Highlights here!
Over the coming weeks, we invite you to explore the leadership journey of past, present, and future black leaders in NIRSA through the lenses of these six pioneers:
- Jocelyn Hill, Director of Recreational Sports & Fitness at American University
- Kevin Marbury, Vice President of Student Life at the University of Oregon
- Jean McClellan Holt, Assistant Director of Recreation & Wellness at Old Dominion University
- Juliette Moore, Retired Director at the University of West Florida
- Stan Shingles, Assistant Vice President at Central Michigan University
- Mirum Washington-White, Director of Athletics, Curriculum Chair for Physical Education, Dept Faculty at St Cyril of Alexandria School)
2020 DSAES Awards Recipients
Grant Funding From USA Swimming Foundation
Rodney Rodgers; 713-743-5747