All submissions for IRB review and consideration must be entered into the Integrated Compliance Oversight Network (ICON) system.
The ICON system can be accessed online anytime, in any browser, with your UH Cougarnet Credentials.
Features of ICON include:
- Electronic submission of initial protocols, modifications and reportable new information and continuing reviews
- Allows for submission of reliance agreements with external institutions
- Electronic workflow routing and review, including parallel ancillary reviews
- Automated reminders
- Stamping and watermarking for consent and recruitment documents
- Visual tracking of submission and review progress
- Integrated library of IRB SOPs, regulatory checklists, and templates
Although the system is very user-friendly, the RIO office has assembled the following videos and instructional manuals to walk users through the system.
ICON User Guide
The ICON User Guide offers an extensive, step-by-step walkthrough of exercises on how to create various types of submissions in ICON for IRB review. The guide covers how to create a new study, respond to IRB review, create a Continuing review and modification, and create a Reportable New Information form. It also shows how to submit an Ancillary Review and an External Study Submission.
Navigating ICON provides quick tips on how to use the ICON IRB module and outlines some of the functionalities and controls within the system.
If, after reviewing these training items, you continue to have questions, feel “stuck,” or are having difficulty with any aspect of your submission, please do not hesitate to reach out to CPHS@central.uh.edu or 713-743-9204.
Meeting dates, times, and contact information for IRB 1, 2, and 3 coordinators may be found under "Other Resources" to the right of the page.