IBC Meeting Schedule 2024
Application Submission Deadline
March 26th, 2024
March 12th, 2024
May 3rd, 2024
April 19th, 2024
August 9th, 2024
July 26th, 2024
November 15th, 2024
November 1st, 2024
Please note the following:
- All applications are subject to a Pre-Review prior to submission to the full Committee. It is essential to address and respond to the comments received during the Pre-Review process to ensure a complete application is reviewed by the Committee. This will minimize approval delays.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the Committee.
- Submission deadlines are set to allow the Biosafety office and Pre-Reviewers enough time to thoroughly review applications. It is recommended that applications are submitted well in advance of the submission deadlines listed.
- If the submission deadline is missed, the application will automatically be reviewed with the next submission deadline applications.
The purpose of the University of Houston Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) is to serve as a compliance oversight committee to the Vice Chancellor for Research and Technology Transfer, which includes:
- Reviewing and approving proposed research involving biological agents, recombinant/synthetic nucleic acid molecules and other potentially hazardous work to ensure compliance with NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules (April 2019), Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (5th Edition) and the UH Biosafety Manual.
- Providing guidance to the University of Houston System’s safety functions concerning the protection of all individuals working in research involving recombinant/synthetic nucleic acid molecules and other hazardous materials of biological origin.
- Collaborating with other UH System components, as authorized through formal agreement, by providing UH representation to facilitate protocol review and approval.
- Imposing necessary administrative actions on Principal Investigators to assure regulatory compliance with biological safety requirements, up to and including laboratory cease work and activities actions.
The IBC meets at least three times per year to review Biosafety Registrations .
IBC Member Composition
Members of the University of Houston IBC include individuals representing a variety of scientific disciplines. This diverse group was selected to provide the appropriate oversight of the various types of rDNA research conducted at UH.
The committee is comprised of the following:
At least 4 Faculty Science researchers (expertise in recombinant/synthetic nucleic acid molecules technology, laboratory techniques, plant and animal containment principles)
2-3 Non-Institutional members
University Office of General Counsel, ex officio
Biological Safety Officer, ex officio
Division of Research representative, ex officio
Safety Manager, Environmental Health and Safety, ex officio
Veterinarian, Animal Care Operations, ex officio
Additional members may be appointed to serve as alternates for voting members.
IBC Biosafety Registration Submission
To begin the approval process, click here to begin the Biosafety Registration online form.