A sampling of faculty, staff, student and alumni happenings:
Mikel Cole, an associate professor and director of the bilingual/ESL education program, earned a UH Teaching Excellence Award for 2022-23.
Melissa Gallagher, an assistant professor and director of the mathematics education program, has been elected to the board of directors of the US Math Recovery Council.
Alum Chad Jones was named executive director of technology for the Lamar Consolidated Independent School District. Jones earned an Ed.D. in curriculum and instruction in 2015 and an M.Ed. in curriculum and instruction in 2008.
Alum Shawn Bird has been appointed deputy superintendent of school leadership for the San Antonio Independent School District. Bird earned an Ed.D. in curriculum and instruction in 2005 and an M.Ed. in curriculum and instruction – secondary education in 2000.
At least 10 CUIN alumni and graduate students have won Teacher of the Year (TOY) awards for 2022-23:
- Alex Botelho, Carter Academy in Aldine ISD (Rookie TOY)
- Yessica Castillo, Cornelius Elementary in Houston ISD (Houston Area Association for Bilingual Educators TOY; HISD Elementary Bilingual TOY)
- Lauren Chapman, North Forest High School in Houston ISD (HISD HS Beginning TOY)
- Mariana Flores, Bellfort Early Childhood Center in Houston ISD (Houston Area Association for Bilingual Educators TOY)
- Angel Hicks, Houston Area Alliance of Black School Educators for Fort Bend ISD (Secondary TOY)
- Andrea Jaime, Roosevelt Elementary in Houston ISD (TOY)
- Eastman Landry, Kinder High School for the Performing and Visual Arts in HISD (TOY)
- Adriana Sanchez, Moreno Elementary in Houston ISD (Bilingual TOY)
- Laura Sandling, Houston Area Alliance of Black School Educators for Houston ISD (TOY)
- Mavenys Shavers, Seven Lakes Junior High School in Katy ISD (Rookie TOY)