Is this program for me?
The Master’s Program in Curriculum & Instruction - Social Studies/Social Education focuses on “powerful” teaching and learning of knowledge, skills, and attitudes. It emphasizes education that is meaningful, integrated, challenging, value-based, and active. It also suggests a broader perspective that incorporates knowledge, skills, and dispositions that facilitate active citizenship and global perspectives. Additionally, Social Education includes:
- Democratic education
- Social justice/critical pedagogy
- Popular culture
- Collaborative teaching and learning (partnerships with the larger community)
- Broader connections to lifelong learning
It will typically take 2 to 3 years to complete the degree if students are enrolled full-time (9 hours per semester).
What will I learn?
The Master’s Program in Curriculum & Instruction - Social Studies/Social Education develops professional, interpersonal, and intrapersonal skills through
- Core coursework
- Specialized Electives
- Comprehensive Exam or Master’s Thesis
Students will also acquire the following skills:
- Collaboration and negotiation
- Advocacy and activism
- Critical inquiry and investigation
- Constructivist teaching and learning
- Action research and application of alternative text
- Integration of multiple perspectives in curriculum and instruction
Since degree plans change periodically, students will follow the degree plan that is in place at the time in which they complete an official, approved degree plan. Following is the most current sample degree plans:
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction - Social Studies Education (30-hours)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction - Social Studies Education (36-hours)
What can I do with my degree?
A master’s degree in Curriculum & Instruction - Social Studies/Social Education provides the coursework and training necessary to obtain a Texas Standard Teaching Certification.
Graduates with a M.Ed. in Social Studies Education may pursue the following careers:
- Community College Instructors
- 4th- 8th Social Studies Classroom Teacher
- 8th -12th grade Social Studies Classroom Teacher.
- Museum Educator
- Non-profit Education Director
- Community Organizer
- Curriculum and Instruction Specialist
To apply for this program, please visit Graduate Admissions.