The Department of Economics awards a number of scholarships each year to honor students while they are in the process of completing a degree in economics at the University of Houston. The amount of each award varies, but generally ranges from $500 to $2000. Students must meet the following minimum qualifications in order to be eligible for a scholarship:
- Student must have declared a major in economics.
- Student must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 semester hours during each semester of the scholarship award period.
- Student must have completed at least 30 hours at the University of Houston by the beginning of the fall semester of the scholarship award period.
- Student should have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 in major courses.
- Student is expected to complete satisfactorily at least 75% of the enrolled semester hours for each semester of the academic year.
The deadline for applications for these annual scholarships is the last friday in May. Applications may be downloaded from this website in PDF format. Scholarship applications may also be obtained in the Economics Department advising office, 208 McElhinney Hall. Students may apply for more than one scholarship if they meet the donor's criteria, but will receive only one scholarship award. Complete the application and attach the following information:
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty sponsor in the Department of Economics.
- An updated official degree plan.
- An official UH transcript.
- Be sure to include information regarding your involvement in campus and extra-curricular activities. Being an active members and/or officer of the UH Student Economics Society is a plus.
- Note that incomplete packets will not be considered for a scholarship. DO NOT have transcripts sent directly to the Department of Economics.
Scholarships Currently Available
- Joel Sailors Scholarship in Economics: Several scholarships available for junior and senior economics majors ranging from $500 to $1500. Must be in good academic standing.