Academic Scholarships for Undergraduate Students in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
(Fall 2018-Spring 2019)
Deadline: Monday, March 26, 2018 by 5:00 pm
The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences each year awards a number of scholarships to honor students while they are in the process of completing a degree at the University of Houston. The amount of award varies for each scholarship, and ranges from $500 to $2,500. Students must meet the following minimum qualifications in order to be eligible for a scholarship:
- Student must have a major declared in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences.
- Student must have completed a minimum of 60 semester credit hours before Fall 2018. Seniors who graduate in December 2018 will receive half the total scholarship award for the Fall semester only.
- Student must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 semester hours during Fall 2018 and a minimum of 12 semester hours during Spring 2019, unless otherwise specified.
- Student is expected to complete satisfactorily at least 75% of the enrolled semester hours for each semester of the Fall 2018– Spring 2019 academic year.
- Student must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 and maintain it for each semester during the Fall 2018– Spring 2019 academic year.
- Students will be considered for all scholarships for which they meet the donor’s criteria, but will receive only one scholarship award.
How to apply for a scholarship:
We are using a new system, the information below is IMPORTANT (PLEASE READ):
- We are using Canvas (a learning management system, similar to Blackboard) to collect the information. Please use a working email address. You will receive an email to complete your registration (you have the option to do this at a later date). Please note that next year if you want to apply for CLASS scholarships you will need your registration information. DO NOT Give/share this information to/with anyone.
- You will enroll in a course called "CLASS Scholarship Application". The only course material will be the scholarship form. There will be no grade involved; nothing will reflect on your transcript. This course was set up only to gather the information required.
- You will take a "Quiz" which is actually the application form
- You will be able to modify your answers as long as you don't click "Submit Quiz"; but if you don't click "Submit Quiz" your form will not be received. So please plan accordingly.
- THE FORM CAN ONLY BE SUBMITTED ONCE.
When you are ready to apply, use the link below for the online scholarship application.
- Note carefully the required information, documents and personal essays necessary to submit a complete application
- Be sure to prepare and collect all your required materials PRIOR to starting the online application
The application will ask you to respond to the following questions. It would be best to prepare your answers to the questions below before starting the application process.
- Organizations/Activities/Awards: Your involvement in college organizations, community activities, honors, special awards etc. Please include any leadership or community/civic involvement (300 words max)
- Career Goals (200 words max)
- Financial Need: explain the circumstances of your financial need (200 words max)
- Personal statement: Why do you believe you deserve a scholarship? (500 words max)
You will be asked to upload the following:
- A letter of recommendation from one of your instructors in CLASS
- An updated academic advisement report;
- Official transcripts from each outside college or university if you have earned less than 30 hours of course work while in attendance at UH;
Deadline for Fall 2018 – Spring 2019 scholarships: MONDAY, March 26, 2018 by 5.00 p.m.
Each student’s application must be accompanied by all attachments. Incomplete packets will not be considered for a scholarship. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline!
GO TO SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION >>