Academic Scholarships for Undergraduate Students in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
(Fall 2018-Spring 2019)
Deadline: Monday, April 22, 2019 by 5:00 pm
We will begin accepting scholarships on this webpage in mid-February
The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences each year awards numerous scholarships to honor students while they are in the process of completing a degree at the University of Houston. The amount of award varies for each scholarship and ranges from $500 to $2,500. Students must meet the following minimum qualifications to be eligible for a scholarship:
- Student must have a major declared in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences.
- Student must have completed a minimum of 60 semester credit hours before Fall 2019. Seniors who graduate in December 2019 will receive half the total scholarship award for the Fall semester only.
- Student must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 semester hours during Fall 2019 and a minimum of 12 semester hours during Spring 2020, unless otherwise specified.
- Student must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 and maintain it for each semester during the Fall 2018– Spring 2019 academic year.
- Students will be considered for all scholarships for which they meet the donor’s criteria, but will receive only one scholarship award.
When you are ready to apply, download the “Scholarship Application” below and carefully follow these instructions.
A complete application includes the following:
- Complete this coversheet
- Provide the following short essays in a separate document:
- Explain your involvement in college organizations, community activities, honors, special awards, etc. Please include any leadership or community/civic engagement (300 words maximum).
- Career Goals (200 words maximum).
- Financial Need: explain the circumstances of your financial need (200 words maximum).
- Personal statement: Why do you believe you deserve a scholarship? (500 words maximum).
- Secure a letter of recommendation from a CLASS instructor familiar with your academic work.
- Secure a current academic advisement report.
- Secure official transcripts from each outside college or university where you have earned less than 30 hours of course work while at UH.
First, compile 1-5 above into a single PDF that is titled as follows: [Last Name First Name Major]. If an English Major named Anne Ramos applied for scholarships, her file would appear “Ramos Ann English.pdf,” for example. Do not forward separate PDFs—compile all of your materials into a single PDF.
Second, forward your PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
Deadline for Fall 2019 – Spring 2020 scholarships: Monday, April 22nd, 2019 by 5.00 p.m.
Incomplete applications will not be considered for a scholarship and late Applications will not be accepted!
Questions about CLASS Scholarships? Email us at email@example.com.
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION >>