Department of Economics
University of Houston
204 McElhinney Hall
Houston, TX 77204-5019
Phone: (713) 743-3800
Fax: (713) 743-3798
Competitive Fellowships Factors
Factors that may be considered in nomination for the Presidential/Cullen/Ehrhardt/Doctoral Student Tuition fellowships
The faculty in charge of the PhD graduate admissions determine who to nominate for fellowships based on the following criteria:
- Applicant's academic record at the previous undergraduate and/or graduate programs.
- Applicant’s performance on exams such as the Graduate Record Exams and TOEFL. The Quantitative section of the GRE is heavily weighted.
- Applicant’s letters of recommendation and the qualifications of the letter writers.
- Applicant’s demonstrated interest in obtaining a doctoral degree evidenced by their statement of purpose.
- Applicant’s demonstrated interest in obtaining a doctoral degree evidenced by participation in activities that will increase chances of success in the program. These activities may include, but are not exclusive to, taking post-baccalaureate courses in mathematics and statistics and/or participating in programs such as the American Economic Association Summer Program and Minority Scholarship Program.
Please note that M.A. Applied Economics candidates are not eligible for these fellowships.