Research Assistant Professor
Department of Pharmaceutical Health Outcomes and Policy,
The PREMIER Center
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
Health 2, Room 9044
4349 Martin Luther King Boulevard
Houston, TX 77204-5047
Contact: email@example.com - 832-842-8392
Prior to joining The PREMIER Center, she was an assistant professor in the Department of Behavioral and Clinical Medicine at the American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine in Sint Maarten, Netherland Antilles, as well as a research assistant professor in the Department of Psychology, Social Influences and Health Behaviors Lab at the University of Houston. Her research is focused on the prevention of high-risk and addictive behaviors, social mechanisms of behavior change, and social determinants of health. Specifically, she is interested in testing and evaluating normative and motivational interventions to reduce substance use and other addictive behaviors. Rinker is also a Licensed Professional Counselor in Texas, a member of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers, and a Certified (Level 1) Motivational Interviewing Treatment Integrity (MITI) Coach.
- Ph.D. Public Health, Majors: Behavioral Sciences/Health Promotion and Epidemiology/Biostatistics University of Texas Health Science Center School of Public Health, Houston, TX
- M.A., Clinical Psychology, University of Houston-Clear Lake, Houston, TX
- B.A., Psychology, Trinity University, San Antonio, TX
- Rinker, D.V., Young, C.M., Krieger, H., Lembo, J., & Neighbors, C. (2017). Evaluations and perceptions of others' evaluations (POE) of negative alcohol-related consequences predict negative alcohol-related consequences among college drinkers. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs.
- Rinker, D.V., Krieger, H., & Neighbors, C. (2016). Social network factors and addictive behaviors among college students. Current Addiction Reports, 3(4), 356-367. PMCID: 5450660
- Rinker, D.V., Diamond, P. M., Walters, S. T., Wyatt, T. M., & DeJong, W. (2016). Distinct classes of negative alcohol-related consequences in a national sample of incoming first-year college students: a latent class analysis. Alcohol and Alcoholism, 51(5), 602-608.
- Rinker, D.V., Rodriguez, L.M., Krieger, H., Tackett, J.L., & Neighbors, C. (2016). Racial and ethnic differences in problem gambling among college students. Journal of Gambling Studies,32(2), 581-590.
- Rinker, D.V. & Neighbors, C. (2015). Latent class analysis of DSM-5 Alcohol Use Disorder criteria among heavy-drinking college students. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 57, 81-88. PMCID: 4561001
- Rinker, D.V., Walters, S.T., Wyatt, T.M., & DeJong, W. (2015). Do incoming first-year college students who think of themselves as adults drink more responsibly after starting college? Emerging Adulthood, 3(5), 359-363.
- Rinker, D.V. & Neighbors, C. (2014). Do different types of social identity moderate the association between perceived descriptive norms and drinking among college students? Addictive Behaviors, 39(9), 1297-1303. PMCID: 4164301
- Rinker, D.V. & Neighbors, C. (2013). Social influence on temptation: perceived descriptive norms, temptation and restraint, and problem drinking among college students. Addictive Behaviors, 38(12), 2918-2923. PMCID: 3980677.
- Rinker, D.V. & Neighbors, C. (2013). Reasons for not drinking and perceived injunctive norms as predictors of alcohol abstinence among college students. Addictive Behaviors, 38(7), 2261-2265. PMCID: 3666935.
- Neighbors, C., & Rinker, D.V. (2015). Everything you ever wanted to know about adolescent drug prevention and more [Review of the book Handbook of adolescent drug use prevention: research, intervention strategies, and practice, by L.M. Scheier (Ed.)]. PyscCRITIQUES, 60(43), http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0039768.
- Rinker, D.V., Boese, T., Humphrey, N, & Cone, C. (2022). Training Medical Students on Structural and Social Determinants of Health: The role of student demographics. Paper presented at the International Association for Medical Education (AMEE) Conference, Lyon, France.
- Rinker, D.V. & Neighbors, C. (2016). Examining the association between "drunkorexia", perceived norms, and drinking motives. Paper presented at the Research Society on Alcoholism, New Orleans, LA.
- Rinker, D.V. & Neighbors, C. (2015). Evaluations and perceptions of others' evaluations (POE) of negative alcohol-related consequences predict negative alcohol-related consequences among college drinkers. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, Chicago, IL.
- Rinker, D.V. (2019). Project Luck: Problem gambling among Asian/Asian-American/Pacific-Islander college students. Paper presented at the National Center for Responsible Gaming Conference on Gambling and Addiction, Las Vegas, NV.
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of the Research Society on Alcoholism Junior Investigator Award for the 2018 Research Society on Alcoholism Scientific meeting
- Recipient of the National Center for Responsible Gaming Conference Poster Session award, Honorable Mention, 2017
- Recipient of a National Center for Responsible Gaming Travel Scholarship, 2015
- Recipient of a University of Texas Health Science Center School of Public Health Traineeship, 2012
- Recipient of a University of Texas Health Science Center School of Public Health New Student Scholarship, 2007-2008
- Student of the Year Award, Clinical Psychology, University of Houston-Clear Lake, 2004-2005
- Phi Kappa Phi, International Honor Society Member, 2004-2005
- Psi Chi, Psychology National Honor Society Member, 2002-2004
- Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT)
- American Counseling Association
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies
- Research Society on Alcoholism
- Research Society on Marijuana
- Association for Contextual and Behavioral Sciences
- APA Division 50: Society of Addiction Psychology