International Education Scholarship
The International Education Scholarship is used as financial assistance to undergraduate and graduate UH students to participate in an approved learning abroad program. Learning abroad programs may include, but are not limited to, faculty-led programs, reciprocal exchange programs, third-party affiliated provider programs, internship opportunities, research collaboratives, academic conferences, and volunteer activities abroad.
The IES application cycle for late Spring 2023, Summer and Fall 2023 programs is now closed. Applications for Late Fall 2023, Winter 2023-2024, Spring 2024, and Summer 2024 programs will open in early August.
Deadline: Late September 2023
Students apply for the IES completely on ViaTRM, our online traveler software. This includes student and program information, uploading the IES essay requirement as a PDF, and requesting a letter of recommendation digitally through the IES online application.
- Undergraduate Students
- Must have completed 12 UH credit hours*, have a minimum 2.5 GPA*, and be in good academic standing.
- Must NOT have received the IES before.
- *Credit hours and GPA at time of application deadline. First-semester and new transfer students are not eligible to apply during their first semester at UH.
- Graduate & Professional Students
- Must have completed 9 UH credit hours*, have a minimum 3.0 GPA*, and be in good academic standing.
- Must NOT have received the IES before.
- *Credit hours and GPA at time of application deadline. First-semester and new transfer students are not eligible to apply during their first semester at UH, unless the student completed an undergraduate program at UH.
Students may not receive IES funding for international travel during any periods of restricted international travel as set by the University of Houston.
International Education Scholarship Policies and Procedures
Prior to beginning the application, please thoroughly review the IES Policies and Procedures.
How to Apply
Select a specific program to which you have applied or will apply. Complete and submit the International Education Scholarship Application on ViaTRM
Email, paper, or other submission methods will not be accepted.
The IES application on ViaTRM includes the following sections/questions:
- Student Information
- Program Information
- Program name and details, dates, term, location(s)
- Program fees, UH tuition (if applicable), Estimated airfare, Room/Board, Other Costs
- IES essay
- Submit the essay as a PDF upload in the ViaTRM application.
- The essay should not exceed two pages. It must be typed, double-spaced, and have standard 12pt. font.
- Essay Prompt: Why did you pick this specific program abroad, how does the program fit into your academics at UH, and how will it support your personal and professional goals?
- Letter of Recommendation
- Ask one UH faculty or staff member to submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf using the online recommendation request in ViaTRM. Only letters submitted by the recommender in the ViaTRM system by the deadline will be accepted.
- The letter of recommendation should include the following information: why the recommender believes the applicant will be successful on the proposed program and an evaluation of the applicant’s strengths. This may include areas such as academic preparation, cultural awareness, communication skills, adaptability, and/or teamwork.
- Students participating in a faculty-led program cannot receive a letter of recommendation from the faculty or staff member leading their program abroad. If multiple letters of reference are received, the IES Committee will review only the first letter that is received.
Review of applications will begin after application deadline and will take several weeks.
Depending on the volume of applications, we hope to have award notifications for the Spring 2023 cycle to all applicants by late April/early May 2023.
Fund dispersal typically takes place 8-10 weeks after the application deadline, but may take longer.