Through the Reciprocal Educational Exchange Program (REEP), UH students can study at a partner university, while paying the UH tuition rate and limited student fees. Conversely, students at a UH partner university can study at UH while paying tuition to their home university. REEPs provide an opportunity to take courses with local students and are best suited for highly motivated, independent students. REEPs are typically a semester or year-long commitment and tend to be more cost effective.
Many REEPs are open to all students, while some are only available to students in specific colleges. Students must apply with Learning Abroad for nomination to a partner institution by the deadlines indicated for each term.
At the time of application students must have:
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 (2.8 required for Swansea University)
- Completed at least 12 UH credit hours
- At least one semester left at UH after return from program
- Demonstrated proficiency in the host country's language or languages (programs noted with *)
Application and Nomination Process
All interested students must attend a Learning Abroad 101 workshop and meet with the Learning Abroad REEP advisor to discuss their intended program.
Before applying with the host institution, students must be officially nominated by UH Learning Abroad. Your application for nomination will include:
- Two personal statements that should address the following prompts:
- Please describe your personal, professional, and academic goals. How will the selected program help you reach these goals? Is there anything else that you hope to gain from this program? (250 word limit)
- Please share why you think you will be a successful exchange student in this program and how you will handle academic and/or personal struggles while you are abroad. This essay should address your level of independence, comfort with ambiguity, and the personal skills that you will use to navigate a new country and culture. (250 word limit)
- One letter of recommendation from a UH faculty or staff member. This letter of recommendation should be no longer than one page and should include the following information: the applicant's name, the applicant's level of academic achievement in general, why the recommender believes the applicant will be a successful participant in the selected REEP program, and an evaluation of the applicant’s independence, adaptability, and cultural awareness.
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges/universities attended.
If you are completing a departmental REEP, please be advised that there may be additional requirements to be nominated. Students should consult with their departmental contact for this information.
Please contact the Learning Abroad REEP advisor for additional information.
Incoming REEP Students
Do You Currently Attend a UH Partner Institution?If you are unsure, please contact your institution's study abroad or student mobility office. At this time we are not able to accommodate international students from non-partner institutions.
Incoming Student from a Partner Institution
Nominations must be recieved from Partner Institution Contacts by September 20, 2021 for the Spring 2022 semester and April 1st, 2022 for the Fall 2022 semester.
For incoming graduate students: Certain application materials should be uploaded, while some materials should still be mailed directly to UH Graduate School.
In addition, all students under the age of 22 are required to receive the Bacterial Meningitis vaccine and submit an official certificate of compliance; students participating in an Incoming REEP should receive the vaccine in their home country ten days prior to arrival in the United States.
All Incoming REEP students are responsible for the following fees:
- Health Insurance: approximately $1200 per semester (or as announced)
- International Student and Scholar Services Orientation Fee: $100
- Exchange Fee: $75
- International Student orientation Fee: $75
- UH Recreation and Wellness Center, Student Center, and Student Services fees
Undergraduate UH Application Fee:
Graduate UH Application Fee: