Skip to main content

Passport for Coogs

pp4c-gen-info-landscape.png Our Passport Facility is open to UH students, staff, faculty, and the general public.  To make an appointment, call 713-743-4687. Appointments are required for service. Masks are strongly encouraged.

With the Passport for Coogs initiative, certain UH students currently enrolled may be eligible to have the cost of their U.S. passport book reimbursed!

To see the Passport for Coogs video, click here!  (Please note passport fees have changed since this video was made. See the updated Fee Schedule below.)

The U.S. Passport Acceptance Facility

The Learning Abroad office at the University of Houston has been officially designated as a U.S. Passport Acceptance Facility by the  U.S. Department of State. As such, our acceptance agents are authorized to receive and execute your application for a U.S. passport book and/or passport card. It is also important to understand that only the U.S. Department of State can determine eligibility for a U.S. passport. It is ultimately the applicant's responsibility to have the proper documentation to apply for a U.S. passport. Please visit or call 1-877-487-2778 for more information. 


Appointments are required. Please call 713-743-4687 to schedule an appointment. If we are unable to answer the phone, please leave a message and we will contact you as soon as possible.


The UH Passport Acceptance Facility does not process renewals as these must be completed and mailed in by the individual. Detailed instructions can be found online here.

Exception: Students who are elligible for the reimbursement must process their renewal in our office to receive the reimbursement.

Walk-In Fridays

The Learning Abroad office is NOT currently accepting walk-in appointments on Fridays. Please call to schedule an appointment. 

Facility Hours

8:30 a.m.-1:00 pm Monday-Friday (Last appointment seen at 12:30 p.m.)

The U.S. Passport Acceptance Facility will not be open on federal holidays, scheduled university breaks, or during emergency university closures. Visit the UH Holiday Calendar for up-to-date information on regular university closures.  

Video - How to Apply for a U.S. Passport at UH

Watch the video to learn how to apply using the DS-11, and then make an appointment with our office! 
You do not need to make an appointment to RENEW your U.S. Passport unless you are a student who is eligible for 
reimbursement. For renewals, simply mail in the renewal application (DS-82) and the supporting materials yourself via the U.S. Postal Service. To determine if you are eligible for renewal, answer the screening questions on the first page of the DS-82.

Processing Times

The most up-to-date approximate processing times are located here.

These are approximations and the UH Passport Acceptance Facility cannot guarantee processing times.

Please note that the UH Passport Acceptance Facility is unable to mail applications via Express Delivery, however applicants can add Overnight Return Delivery for an additional fee. 

If you are traveling within 2 weeks, you will need to contact the Houston Passport Agency at 1-877-487-2778 to make an appointment with them, as the UH Passport Acceptance Facility cannot process applications for passports needed within 2 weeks.

Each Applicant Will Need The Following:


  • Completed in black ink
  • Single-sided

Proof of U.S. Citizenship

  • Original and one photocopy submitted with application
  • Original will be returned to applicant via USPS by U.S. Department of State

Proof of Identification

  • Valid State of Texas ID
  • Copy of front and back (single-sided)


  • Due to the Covid-19 situation, all in-house passport photo services have been temporarily suspended. Passport photos can be obtained at Creation Station on campus, Walgreens, CVS and FedEx Office stores.


  • Applicants whose names differ between their proof of citizenship and proof of identification will also need to show proof of legal name change, such as original marriage certificate or original court order showing the name change.
  • Originals will be submitted with application and returned to you via USPS by the U.S. Department of State.
  • Photo identification must match the current name, which should also be on the passport application.
  • A birth certificate * must be provided each time a minor is applying for a passport, even if they hold a previously issued U.S. Passport.
  • The minor must be present at time of application.
  • Valid photo identification is required for each parent who is listed on the birth certificate of the minor.
    • A photocopy of front and back of parents' valid identification is required.
  • Any parent listed on the birth certificate must be present at time of application (with valid proof of identification for each parent).
    • If out of state license, a secondary form of identification such as work or student identification card or Social Security Card must be provided.
    • If one parent is unable to come to the appointment, the parent who is unable to come to the appointment must complete a DS-3053, the Statement of Consent, PER MINOR, and submit a color photocopy of the front and back of valid identification.  
      • The Statement of Consent must be notarized.
      • This documentation will be submitted with the minor's application.
      • Document must be completed in its entirety before notarization. Edits cannot legally be made once the form as been notarized. 
    • If one parent is unable to come to the appointment and that parent is unable to complete a DS-3053, the parent who attends the appointment must complete a DS-5525, the Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances.
    • If one parent is deceased, the original Certificate of Death must be provided.
      • Original will be submitted with application and returned to you via USPS by the U.S. Department of State.
    • If there is an official court order granting custody of the minor to another party, the original court order must be provided.
      • Originals will be submitted with application and returned to you via USPS by the U.S. Department of State.  
  • If the applicant does not have a form of primary identification (Driver's License or State ID), the applicant should provide two of the following: student ID with photo, work ID with photo, Social Security Card
  • The applicant should provide a color photocopy of the back and front of at least one parent's valid identification

Abstract of Birth

  • These are short-form versions of birth certificates that are typically ½ page documents and include minimal details

Long-Form Birth Certificate

  • Depending on the state, these are typically full-page documents that include full details of the parent(s) including their date(s) of birth and location(s) of birth 

Birth Certificates from Texas - All Long-Forms and Some Abstracts of Birth Are Acceptable

  • Abstracts of birth with the letter "I", for "Institution", located after the Date Filed or the File Number may be accepted
  • If you have a Texas Abstract of Birth with no "I", you will need to order a Long-Form Birth Certificate from the county in which you were born

Birth Certificates from California - Long-Form Birth Certificates Only

  • Abstracts of Birth are not accepted by the U.S. Department of State
  • If you have a California Abstract of Birth, you will need to order a Long-Form Birth Certificate from the county in which you were born

Reimbursement Eligibility

UH Student eligibility for U.S. Passport Reimbursement of the $130 passport application fee has changed effective June 25th, 2018. 
Undergraduate and graduate students must be in the application process for a learning abroad program in order to be eligible for reimbursement. Eligible learning abroad programs may include, but are not limited to, faculty-led programs, reciprocal exchange programs, third-party affiliated provider programs, internship opportunities, research collaboratives, academic conferences, and co-curricular volunteer activities abroad.
Students graduating in the current semester in which they are applying are not eligible unless completing the learning abroad program within the current semester.
Students must be registered in UH main courses for the current term to be eligible. 

If the above applies to you, please continue below. If you do not qualify for reimbursement, please disregard the rest of this collapsible panel.

  • Students must apply at the U.S. Passport Acceptance Facility located in the Learning Abroad office on campus in order to be eligible for reimbursement. No exceptions will be made.
  • Eligible students must complete all four of the forms below and submit with their application, regardless of current or prior employment status with UH.
  • Information such as name, Social Security Number, and address match on all three forms. 
Reimbursement forms found here.


Our passport facility is located on the University of Houston main campus in the Learning Abroad Office: Ezekiel W. Cullen Building, Suite 105.

4302 University Drive
Ezekiel Cullen Building Suite 105
Houston, Texas 77204
North Entrance: Next to the M.D. Anderson Library main entrance
West Entrance (Handicap Accessible): Opposite of the Cullen Performance Hall

The Cullen Performance Hall, which has a large red UH banner above the entrance, does not connect to the Ezekiel W. Cullen Building. Please do not use this entrance.


Paid visitor parking is located in the  University of Houston Hilton Hotel Parking Garage (garage entrance on East side of building) or the  Welcome Center Parking Garage. Our office is about a five minute walk from either garage. 

Fee Schedule

Check or Money Order ONLY. Temporary checks, credit cards, or debit cards cannot be accepted.

Payable to U.S. Department of State

Item   Adult (16 and older)     Minor (15 and under)  
Passport Book $130.00 $100.00
Passport Card $30.00 $15.00
Optional Expedited Processing $60.00
Optional Overnight Return Delivery   $18.32

Payable to UH  ( separate check or money order) :

Item Fee

Facility Execution Fee

for DS-11 applications only  

$35.00 per applicant

UH students billed the Facility Execution Fee to myUH account

Photocopies of

Official Documentation 

$1.00 per photocopy per applicant

Free for UH Students, Faculty, and Staff Applicants (family members excluded)

Passport FAQs

For a list of our most frequently asked questions about Passport and the "Passport for Coogs" initiative, please visit the  FAQs page