Is this program for me?
The Master’s program in Curriculum & Instruction - Science Education prepares individuals for a rigorous and rewarding career in science education. Students will undertake a concentrated plan of course work and professional activity in order to:
- Become more effective and equitable in science lesson design and instruction.
- Gain an understanding of inquiry-based science teaching, nature of science, and science-societal issues.
- Develop capacity to teach in diverse and complex school environments.
This will require, but is not limited to, the following:
- Participating in local and state science education professional organizations
- Designing and implementing exemplary science units that result in student understanding
- Managing activity-oriented, student-engaged science classrooms
- Constructing a portfolio that demonstrates achievement of program objectives
It will typically take 2 to 3 years to complete the degree if students are enrolled 6-9 hours per semester. Courses are offered in the evenings and during summer sessions.
What will I learn?
The Master’s Program in Curriculum & Instruction - Science Education develops professional, interpersonal, and intrapersonal skills through
- Core coursework
- Specialized Electives
- Capstone Project or Master’s Thesis
Students will specifically learn to:
- Develop inquiry-based science instruction.
- Align objectives, instruction, and assessments.
- Help learners to represent their knowledge in many ways.
- Design laboratory investigations to study natural phenomena.
- Design science and societal issue investigations.
- Organize a safe/productive learning environment.
Since degree plans change periodically, students will follow the degree plan that is in place at the time in which they complete an official, approved degree plan. Following is the most current sample degree plan:
What can I do with my degree?
A master’s degree in Curriculum & Instruction - Science Education prepares professionals to work in various roles as:
- Educators and instructors in schools, museums, zoos, arboretums, and environmental education facilities
- Instructors in educational service centers
- Curriculum and instruction specialists
- Leaders in Science Education
To apply for this program, please visit Graduate Admissions.