- Applicants must have a B.A. or B.S. from an accredited institution, preferably with a major in sociology or any other social science.
- It is strongly recommended, but not required, that applicants have taken undergraduate courses in Social Theory (or its equivalent), Social Statistics (or its equivalent), and Research Methods (or its equivalent);
- Grade point averages are considered in the context of the applicant’s whole record, but a strong applicant will normally have at least a 3.00 grade point average (A=4.00) on the most recent 60 semester hours of undergraduate coursework.
- All applicants are required to take the general portion of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) administered by ETS. The GRE must be taken at least a month prior to the application deadline and the score cannot be more than 5 years old. GRE scores are considered in the context of the applicant's whole record, but a strong applicant will normally have a total minimum score on the GRE verbal and quantitative section of 302 (preferably a minimum of 151 on the Verbal and minimum of 151 on the quantitative section). Also, a minimum of 3.5 is required on the analytical writing section. GRE scores must be electronically sent to UH Admissions by Educational Testing Service (ETS) using system code #6870. Official GRE scores must be received by the University before the application is considered complete.
- In addition to the GRE, International Students must also provide evidence of satisfactory English proficiency. The TOEFL or the IELTS exams provide this evidence and must be taken at least a month before submitting your application. TOEFL and IELTS scores must not be more than 2 years old. The scores must be sent electronically to UH Admissions directly by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) using system code #6870. On the TOEFL, a total combined minimum score of 79 is required. The TOEFL score cannot be older than 2 years. On the IELTS, a minimum band score of 6.5 is required. The IELTS score can be older than 2 years. Official TOEFL scores must be received by the University before the application is considered complete.
- Ultimately, 2 letters of recommendation, preferably from academic sources are required. During the CollegeNet application process, the names and emails of individuals who will provide recommendations will be required. Once provided, CollegeNet will contact the individuals and request that they submit recommendation information.
- A Statement of Purpose must be submitted through the CollegeNet application. Without it, the application cannot be finalized. An SOP is a brief essay of 1 to 2 pages about why the applicant wants to pursue graduate work in sociology, experiences in sociology, and plans after receiving a graduate degree.
- A current resume must be provided through the CollegeNet application. Without it, the application cannot be finalized.
- All applicants must pay the required application fees (Domestic Applicants: $50; International Applicants: $50, plus, an additional $125) before their application is considered complete and ready for review.
- Graduate Application through CollegeNet.
- Official transcripts from all higher educational institutions must be sent online directly to the University of Houston Admissions, using code #6870. In cases where a digital copy cannot be sent from the sending institution, an official hard copy must be mailed to the UH Graduate School. Consideration of an application can be made with unofficial transcripts, however, once admitted, the prospective student must provide an official transcript in order to be given the ability to enroll.
- International Students must send original or certified transcripts of previous education both in the original language and the English translation to the UH Graduate School.
- International Students have other application requirements. For a complete list or requirements check the UH International Admissions website for international students. The requirements include but are not limited to a statement of understanding, a letter of financial backing, degree clarification form, two passport sized photos, a statement of purpose.
- Address information for the UH Graduate School can be found at UH Graduate School Admissions
- For more information or clarifications, please contact Dr. Stella Grigorian, Graduate Faculty
Advisor: Dr. Stella Grigorian
University of Houston – Department of Sociology
Attn: Dr. Stella Grigorian, Graduate Faculty Advisor
3551 Cullen, 473 Philip Guthrie Hoffman Hall (PGH)
Houston, Texas 77204-3011