The parking citation appeals process is intended to provide an objective process to review a citation. There must be substantial and valid evidence that the parking violation was not committed or that it occurred due to circumstances beyond the appellant’s control.
Valid documentation of the evidence must be provided when the appeal is submitted. When appealing meter violations, please submit your receipt or the last four digits of the credit card used to pay. Copies of bank statements will not be accepted.
Claims of lack of intent to violate the regulations, though allowable, are not sufficient grounds for appealing a parking citation.
The following reasons are invalid as a basis for appeal and will result in an automatic guilty ruling:
- Lack of knowledge of the regulations. For example, new to campus or have not reviewed regulations
- Other vehicles were parked improperly
- Only parked illegally for a short period of time
- Stated failure of parking officer to ticket previously for similar offenses
- Late to class/appointment
- No other place to park
- Inability to pay the amount of the fine
- Using personal car for university business
- Inclement weather
- Operation of the vehicle by another person
- Someone other than a PTS employee gave permission to park
- Permit fell or was blocked by sunshade
- Forgot permit in other vehicle
How to Appeal a Citation
- Log in to your myParking Account using your Courgarnet username and password, or, if you are a visitor, create a guest account.
- Select "Citations" on the top menu bar.
- Look for the citation you would like to appeal, and click “Appeal this Citation.”
- You forfeit the right to appeal after the tenth calendar day from when the citation was issued.
The parking citation appeals process involves two progressive levels of review of the citation and appeal.
First Level: Administrative Review
- The appeal, citation, and the appellant’s UH parking history will be reviewed by the Parking & Transportation Appeals Panel.
- Results will be mailed/emailed within 10 calendar days of submittal.
- If an appeal is denied at this level, a request can be made for a second level appeal if the appellant can provide substantial and valid evidence that the parking violation was issued due to process error, was not committed, or there is new evidence not presented for the original appeal. Please note: opposition of the first level appeal decision without additional evidence presented is not grounds for a second appeal. And the request will be denied without action and appellate notified by email/mail.
- Second level appeals must be filed by the 10th calendar day from the date the first level decision is rendered. Such requests must be made in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If a second level appeal is not selected, the payment due date will be 10 calendar days from the date of the first level decision.
Second Level: Transportation & Parking Advisory Committee Designee
- The Chair and designees from the Transportation & Parking Advisory Committee (TPAC) will review the appeal and written citation, as well as the appellant’s UH parking history. A member from the Student Government Association will review student appeals. A member from the Faculty Senate will review faculty appeals. A member from the Staff Council will review staff member appeals. No designees are associated with PTS.
- Second-level appeal results will be emailed by the Chair of TPAC within 10 calendar days.
- Second level appeal decisions are final. Payment is due 10 calendar days from the date of the second-level decision.
- Appeals must be submitted within 10 calendar days of citation issuance.
- Appellants receive email notice of receipt of a completed online appeal. If you do not receive an email acknowledgment, please contact PTS at email@example.com.
- Notice of the decision regarding your appeal will be sent by email or US mail.
- Please allow one to three weeks for a decision regarding your appeal.