Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Register with Dart

We welcome you to visit us at:
Justin Dart Jr., Student Accessibility Center
Building #568, Room #110
University of Houston
Houston, Texas 77204‐3022

Or you can reach us at:
Phone: (713) 743‐5400
Fax: (713) 743‐5396

From the home page of The Dart Center’s website, click the “New Student Application” button located in the “How to Register with the Student Accessibility Center” section. Then, click the “New Student Application” link to get started.

A link will be sent to you in your confirmation email after submitting your application for reasonable academic accommodations. If you have not received the link, please contact the front desk at 713‐743‐5400 for assistance.

Please communicate with your Access Coordinator if you will be needing an Interpreter for your intake meeting.

Please allow 5‐7 business days to be contacted by your assigned Access Coordinator about completing the registration process. Once your application has been processed, and you have met with your Access Coordinator, accommodations will be approved within 24 hours.

Although we encourage students to register at least ten (10) days before the beginning of the semester to ensure that you have accommodations in place on the first day of class, students can register at any time.

No. Once your accommodations have been established, you can continue using them for the rest of your time here at the University of Houston unless you request changes to your accommodations.

Yes. Some graduate programs coordinate reasonable academic accommodations within the college rather than through The Dart Center. Please check with your program liaison regarding their accommodation coordinating processes. If you are unsure whether your program has a liaison, please contact the Dart Center to speak with an Access Coordinator.

Temporary accommodations are reserved for disabilities that can improve within six (6) months.

If you are experiencing pregnancy related medical complications, such as needing to be on bed rest for an extended time, please proceed with the registration process. If you are not experiencing pregnancy related medical complications, you may request pregnancy accommodations through the Office of Equal Opportunity Services (“EOS”) under Title IX. You may contact EOS by email at or via phone at (713) 743‐8835.

No. A student is not required to disclose their diagnosis to their instructor.

Accommodation Guide

Your approved accommodations may be accessed using our online portal under the ‘My Eligibility’ tab. If you are unable to access the online portal, please contact your assigned Access Coordinator for assistance.

Once your application has been processed, and you have met with your Access Coordinator, accommodations will be made available via the online portal within 24 hours. However, you must submit your approved accommodations to each of your instructors before they will be implemented in a particular class.

If you have trouble accessing your accommodations, please reach out to your Access Coordinator.

You should request your accommodations be sent to your instructors via the online portal at the beginning of each semester. For instructions on how to submit this request, please contact your assigned Access Coordinator.

Yes. Please contact your assigned Access Coordinator if you would like your accommodations transitioned to the new online portal.

Yes, if the documentation supports your new accommodation request.

Please forward any communication between you and your professor regarding your accommodations to your assigned Access Coordinator and request a meeting. Your Access Coordinator will work with you and your professor to resolve any issues.

Please forward any communication between you and your professor to your assigned Access Coordinator and request a meeting. Your Access Coordinator will work with you and your professor to resolve any issues.

Please verify with your Access Coordinator that you have gone through the process of properly requesting your accommodations.

If the problem is not resolved, please The Dart Center and let your Access Coordinator . Then forward all communication to them for assistance.

Yes. Making your instructor aware of all your approved accommodations will allow them to better prepare to accommodate you, however, you are not required to utilize all of your approved accommodations in every class.


Requests for an emotional support animal in University Housing by an individual with a disability will be considered pursuant to the UHS Emotional Support Animals Policy. If you are registered with The Dart Center, you may direct your request to your assigned Access Coordinator. If approved, your assigned Access Coordinator will notify University Housing and a staff member will contact you to process your ESA accommodation request. Please note that ESAs are only allowed in University Housing and are not permitted in other areas of the University such as classrooms.

An Emotional Support Animal provides necessary emotional support to an individual with a mental or psychiatric disability that alleviates one or more identified symptoms of an individual’s disability, but is not considered a Service Animal. For more information about Emotional Support Animals, please see the UHS Emotional Support Animals Policy.

A Service Animal is a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. For more information about Service Animals, please see the UHS Service Animals Policy.

While Service Animals are allowed to accompany people with disabilities in all areas of a University facility where the public is normally allowed to go, Emotional Support Animals are only permitted in University Housing.

While accommodations from other institutions may be helpful in creating your accommodations here at the University of Houston, they do not automatically transfer. Accommodations from secondary education will be considered, but they will not look the same in a post‐secondary education setting. Accommodations from other Universities will also be considered as supporting documentation. Accommodations are personalized to the individual and their needs while here at the University of Houston.

Interpreting and Captioning Services

Log in to our online portal, select the classes you’d like services for and select the appropriate service you need.

Your assigned provider’s name will be accessible through the online portal.

Please make sure your requests are turned in at least three (3) business days in advance.

Please send a message to the Interpreter/Captioning Coordinator. They will do their best to let the providers wait an additional fifteen (15) minutes for your arrival.

No. We do not offer preferred providers as there is no guarantee that service.

Faculty Guide on Implementation of Accommodations

Please reach out to the student to discuss how the accommodations will apply to the course.

Please contact the student for a copy of the accommodation letter. If a copy cannot be provided, the student should contact their assigned Access Coordinator to request their accommodation letter.

Please direct the student to their Access Coordinator to request additional accommodations.

Please contact the student’s Assigned Access Coordinator for guidance on how to implement the accommodations.

Instructors will now receive notification of a student’s approved accommodation(s) via email. Be on the lookout for an email that includes “Notification of Academic Support Services” in the subject line.

Federal law and University policy do not allow for instructors to deny accommodations. In providing an academic accommodations, instructors do not have to eliminate or lower essential requirements, make modifications that would result in a fundamental alteration of programs or activities, or impose an undue burden on the department.

Instructors who have questions or concerns about an accommodation must engage in an interactive process with the student and their Access Coordinator to collaborate on how to best provide the approved accommodation and/or to discuss whether alternative accommodations are appropriate.

The Worklist, which was previously navigated using Access UH, will no longer be used to receive accommodations beginning Spring 2022. Beginning in Spring 2022, the Online Portal will be the only way to receive student accommodations. Currently, some students still have access to their accommodations via the Worklist but If a student submits their accommodations via your Worklist, you may request that they send the accommodations via the new online portal.

The RITA form has been replaced by the Alternative Testing Agreement. If a student would like to test at the Dart Center, they must select their approved Alternative Testing accommodation when sending out their accommodations to their instructors. If a student with an approved alternative testing accommodation indicates to they would like to test at the Dart Center and their notification of accommodations does not contain a link to the Alternative Testing Agreement, please direct the student to their assigned Access Coordinator. The student must initiate the accommodation request for this link to be generated.

Changes can be made to the agreement form by contacting the Dart Center’s Testing Services Coordinator at 713‐743‐5400. You will receive a confirmation of changes as soon as the changes are submitted. Changes may include but are not limited to; date of exam, time of exam, materials allowed etc.

Only one Alternative Testing Agreement is needed per section of each course you teach. For questions related to alternative testing, please the Dart Center’s Testing Services Coordinator at 713‐743‐5400.


Students are assigned an Access Coordinator by the first letter of their last name. If the last name is hyphenated, please follow the first name before the hyphen

  • A – G (Cheryl Lynn Lewis)
  • H – O (Crystle Mcdonald)
  • P – Z (Ciara Evans)

No. Registration with THE DART CENTER is never placed on your academic records.

Please contact our front desk at (713) 743‐5400 or for assistance.

If you are listed on your child’s Release of Information form, please request to speak with the assigned Access Coordinator by name.

If you are not listed, please have your child update their release of information to give THE DART CENTER permission to speak with you.

It depends on the length of time you have been separated from the University. Your DART CENTER files remain active throughout your continuous enrollment at the University. If you leave the University, your file will be placed on inactive status.

Please note that prior approval for accommodations does not mean that you will automatically be approved for similar accommodations once you return to the University. Students may be asked to present new documentation depending on factors such as: date of original documentation accommodation approval, nature of disability, and the length of time away from the University. Please contact an Access Coordinator if we can answer any questions for you.

To set up an appointment with a counselor, please call 713‐743‐5400.

Yes, your Access Coordinator can assist with the coordination of accommodations with external entities. Please be sure to list the external agencies on your Release of Information form.