April 20, 2022
9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
UH Student Centers, 4455 University Dr. Houston, TX 77204
Local high school seniors and juniors with disabilities are invited to attend the 2022 Transition Symposium, hosted by the UH Justin Dart, Jr. Student Accessibility Center. Attendees can meet with representatives from the University of Houston System and local community colleges to learn more about the resources and services available to you at regional post-secondary education institutions.
Who should attend:
This event is designed for high school students, juniors & seniors with disabilities, transition teachers, and parents/guardians wanting to learn more about access in higher education, community and campus resources, and connect with others who have disabilities.
How much does it cost?
The Transition Symposium is free for attendees.
Can my parents or guardians come with me?
Yes, they are welcome to attend.
8:00 am to 9:00 am — Students and attendees arrive at the Student Center
9:00 am to 9:30 am — Welcome remarks and guidance for the event
9:30 am to noon — Breakout Sessions
- Dart Center Team UH Main - Accommodations, Access, and Services in Higher education
- UH System Disability Services (UH Clearlake, Downtown, Victoria) - Explore the differences between the ADA/504 at the University level and how accommodations are different than K-12.
- Assistive Technology demonstration and presentation – learn about different assistive technology available in higher education such as Jaws, Zoom Text, Fusion, and other technologies that can enhance access. Alternative testing in higher education will also be explored for students.
- Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) – This session will cover a great resource for students with disabilities, regarding support for higher education and employment.
Noon to 1 p.m. — Lunch
1:00 pm to 2:30 pm
- Resource Fair. Attendees will be able to collect valuable information from university departments, and community resources for people with disabilities.
- Wheelchair Basketball
- Campus Tour