Additional Requirements for International Applicants

Persons who hold a nonimmigrant type visa (F1 or J1) are classified as international applicants/students by the University of Houston. International applicants must apply to both the Graduate College of Social Work (GCSW) and the University of Houston Office of International Admissions.

For social work application requirements, refer to the application checklist on this website. Completed GCSW applications should be mailed directly to the M.S.W. Admissions Office. The criteria for international students is located at the following webpage: Additional required international admissions forms are located at:

For requirements of the Office of International Admissions, go to the International Admissions FAQ or call +1.713.743.1010 for more information. International Admissions materials should be mailed directly to their office.

Please note: Only one on-line application to ApplyTexas is required. Both offices have access to this application.

Because the application process is more time consuming for persons from other countries or persons whose degrees were earned abroad, international applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible.

UH Policies for International Applicants

  • International students on nonimmigrant visas must carry hospitalization and medical insurance.
  • Nonimmigrant international students are prohibited from participation in employment unless authorized by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Services or the International Student and Scholar Services Office at the University of Houston .
  • New students on nonimmigrant visas are required to enroll for an orientation program which takes place at the beginning of their first semester.

Holders of nonimmigrant visas must maintain fulltime enrollment each semester.