Admission Criteria for Applicants with International Academic Credentials
An applicant who has never attended a post-secondary school will be considered a freshman applicant.
Students who submit a complete freshman application file (including the application, application fee, official college transcript(s), test scores, and any applicable admission items) to the University of Houston by the designated deadline will be reviewed for admission. Note: Official transcripts and related documents must be received from all previously attended institutions.
General Admission Criteria for Freshman Admission with international academic credentials:
- Completion of 12 years of secondary education or equivalent, or in the progress of completing the last year of secondary education.
- A minimum of the equivalent of a cumulative average* (GPA) of 3.0 = B on all secondary studies, based on on a 4.0 GPA scale where 4.0 = A, 3.0 = B, 2.0 = C, 1.0 = D and 0 = F.
- English Language Proficiency Requirement
- SAT or ACT scores.* Applicants receiving secondary education in a native English-speaking country (click here for country list) or through an educational system of a native English-speaking country, such as the British “O” and “A” Levels must have:
- SAT I - A minimum of SAT I Total (Critical Reading + Math) = 1100 with a minimum of Critical Reading = 500 and a minimum of Math = 500. Scores should be sent through The College Board (code 6870) OR;
- ACT - A Minimum of ACT composite = 24 with minimum of English = 19 and minimum of Math = 19. Scores should be sent through ACT (code 4236).
*SAT or ACT test scores are highly recommended for all international freshman applicants. If you are an international freshman graduating from a U.S. accredited high school, you must meet the admissions requirements for U.S. freshmen.
Special Major Requirements
The following majors have additional selection criteria over and above the general admissions requirements:
- Hotel and Restaurant Management
- Natural Sciences and Mathematics
Criteria for Special Majors can be found here.
Applicants with less than one year of full-time, university-level education outside the U.S. at a non-U.S. accredited institution must meet criteria for Freshman with International Academic Credentials. All International applicants must meet criteria for Freshman with International Academic Credentials.
Studnts who submit a complete transfer application file (including the application, application fee, official college transcript(s) and any applicable admission items) to the University of Houston by the designated admission deadline will be reviewed for admission. Note: Official transcripts and related documents must be received from all previously attended institutions.
Transfer applicants are reviewed for admission to only the first and second choice major selected on the ApplyTexas Application. Applicants who do not meet the admission requirements for either the first or second choice major will not be eligible for admission to the University of Houston.
General Admission Criteria for Transfer Admission with international academic credentials:
- The minimum equivalent of a cumulative grade point average* (GPA) of 3.0 = B on all post-secondary studies, based on a 4.0 GPA scale where 4.0 = A, 3.0 = B, 2.0 = C, 1.0 = D and 0 = F. For applicants that attended an institution or educational system that has a higher or lower division (+ or -) in the grading scale, a GPA of 2.5=C+ is acceptable. *All grades earned from college-level/post secondary courses, including repeated courses, are used in computing the grade point average.
- English Language Proficiency Requirement
Impacted Major Admission Requirements
Transfer applicants are admitted to a specific major. Many UH majors and programs have requirements in addition to the general admission criteria. For information about these additional requirements, go to Impacted Major Requirements
If you are an international transfer student that has only completed community college or university-level education at a U.S. accredited institution, you must meet the admissions requirements for U.S. transfer.
Post-baccalaureate applicants are those who have completed the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree or higher prior to enrolling in UH. If admitted to UH, Post-baccalaureate students can take undergraduate courses, pursue a second degree, or complete prerequisites for graduate programs. Applicants are required to meet admissions criteria for transfer applicants.
Graduate and professional programs have individual admissions process and requirements. International graduate students should contact their chosen college or program to learn about their application and admission requirements. For a listing of all the graduate and professional programs offered by the University of Houston please go to Graduate & Professional Programs. Graduate admission criteria are established both by the Graduate School and by the graduate program of study. The minimum academic criteria for graduate admission include:
- Official academic credentials documenting completed prerequisite academic work that gives evidence of ability to pursue a graduate program in your chosen area. Consult your intended graduate program for more information.
- Earned a degree of 4 or more years that is equivalent to a U.S. Bachelor degree, or higher degree from an accredited college or university prior to beginning graduate studies.
- Earned a cumulative grade-point average (GPA) equivalent to or higher than the minimum for your chosen graduate college criteria.&
- Evidence of satisfactory English Proficiency on the TOEFL or IELTS standardized exams as required by your graduate program.
Graduate applications are processed through the combined efforts of the Office of International Admissions and the individual colleges and departments. The Office of International Admissions is primarily responsible for evaluating foreign credentials for the graduate departments. Individual admissions decisions are however, the sole responsibility of the graduate department to which the student has applied.