Texas Public Information Act

The Texas Public Information Act (the “Act”) entitles individuals to information about the affairs of government in Texas and the official acts of public officials and employees in Texas, unless otherwise expressly provided by law. A Texas Public Information Act request is a request for public information that is maintained by a Texas governmental agency, such as the University of Houston System and any of its component institutions (e.g., the University of Houston (“UH”), the University of Houston-Downtown (“UHD”), the University of Houston-Clear Lake (“UHCL”), and the University of Houston-Victoria (“UHV”)).

What Your Request Should Include

Your request should be in writing and should include the following information:

1) Your name and mailing address (so we can send you a response)
2) Your phone number (so we can contact you with questions about how to respond to your request)
3) A list or description of the specific information you are interested in obtaining, including time periods. Try to be as specific as possible about the information you are seeking.  Please also specify which component institution (e.g., UH, UHD, UHCL, UHV) you are seeking the information from.

Where Your Request Should be Sent

Your request should be sent to the University of Houston System's Public Information Act Officer via mail, fax, e-mail, or in person as follows:

By e-mail to publicinfo@uh.edu
By fax to (713) 743-0726 (Attention: Public Information Act Officer)
By mail or in person to 125 E. Cullen Building, Houston, Texas 77204-2021 (Attention: Public Information Act Officer)

How You Will be Charged

You will be charged in accordance with the Act and as detailed in this pdf document.

How to Find Additional Information About the Act

For more information about the Act, you may wish to refer to the 2012 Public Information Act Handbook published by the Office of the Attorney General of Texas (“OAG”) or the OAG's Texas Public Information Act poster.

How to Get a Copy of Transcripts or Other Student Information

In order to receive a copy of University transcripts or other student information, you should contact the registrar's office at your UH System component institution as opposed to submitting a Texas Public Information Act request.

UH System Policy Regarding the Texas Public Information Act

SAM 03.H.02 - Open Records/Public Information Act