- Incoming freshmen from the Houston Independent School District’s new Energy Institute High School, a magnet school for energy careers, will spend Thursday, July 31, at the University of Houston for an introduction to renewable energy.
- Established in 2002, the University of Houston (UH) Graduate College of Social Work’s Virtual Reality Clinical Research Lab is expanding. “We’ve had smokers in our lab studies learn to refuse cigarettes,” said the lab’s founder and director, Patrick Bordnick, Ph.D., a UH Graduate College of Social Work professor.
- Houston Mayor Annise Parker has proclaimed Aug. 1 as Houston Shakespeare Festival Day in the city. On this day, the festival will kick off its summer run with “The Two Gentlemen of Verona” at 8:30 p.m. in Miller Outdoor Theatre.
- The University of Houston Libraries are part of a growing trend in libraries. The formidable system with more than 2,000,000 volumes in its collection now is home to its first Hispanic Collections archivist and librarian.
- The UH Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management's student-run event, 'Gourmet Night,' is recognized by the National Association for Catering and Events (NACE) as Best in the Nation.
- With the 2014 hurricane season about to enter its busiest time, the University of Houston will host an annual conference on preparation and coastal protection on Aug. 1. Open to emergency managers, industry suppliers and members of the community, the conference – the sixth annual Hurricanes, Major Disasters, Coastal Protection and Rapid Recovery in Texas and the Gulf Coast Region – is focused on rapid recovery from major disasters, said Cumaraswamy “Vipu” Vipulanandan, director of the Texas Hurricane Center for Innovative Technology and professor of civil and environmental engineering in the UH Cullen College of Engineering.
You may need Adobe Reader to view files on this page. Click on the icon to download a free copy.