In our lab, we examine the social-cognitive basis of psychiatric disorders in youth. Our research falls most clearly under the domain of “social systems and processes” in the NIMH Research Domain Criteria (RDoC) initiative and focus on constructs such as understanding others, understanding self, and attachment. We work in Houston and in South Africa. Our research also includes a translational focus as we work towards the development of constructs and measures at multiple levels of analyses to facilitate the early identification and treatment of psychiatric disorders in youth, in addition to the development and evaluation of social-cognitive interventions for psychiatric problems and problems of behavioral health, such as HIV and addiction. We use a variety of methods in our research, including behavioral experiments, functional neuroimaging and survey methods. Our overall goal is to help strengthen communities through strengthening relationships.
The lab is run by Dr. Carla Sharp. Funding sources have included the NICHD, NIMH, the NIH Centers for AIDS Research, NARSAD, the South African Responsible Gambling Foundation, the American Psychoanalytic Association, UH Small Grants Program, UH GEAR program, and the McNair Family Foundation.
- September 2015: Congratulations on submitting your F31, Charles!
- September 2015: Congratulations on passing comprehensive exams, Allison!
- August 2015: Dr. Sharp was promoted to Full Professor!
- August 2015: A warm welcome to our new postdoctoral fellow, Dr. Amanda Palo.
- August 2015: Congratulations to Allison for submitting her F31 grant proposal!
- July 2015: Salome successfully proposed her masters' thesis. A big congrats!
- July 2015: We welcome Cara as our new Research Coordinator I at the Adolescent Treatment Program at the Menninger Clinic.
- July 2015: We are thrilled to have Julia on board as our new lab manager.
- July 2015: Will received his license as a Psychological Associate from the TBSEP.
- May 2015: Amanda was awarded the Baylor College of Medicine Psychology Internship award for her research!
- May 2015: Carolyn presented at the Society of Biological Psychiatry conference in Toronto. Well done!
- May 2015: Congratulations for completing the program, Drs. Amanda Venta and Tyson Reuter!
- May 2015: Congrats Nic and Kaitlin on completing your Bachelor's at UH!!!
- May 2015: Charles successfully defended his Masters' thesis. Well done!
- May 2015: Robyn received a Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) award!