Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Face to Face MSW program?
The Face to Face MSW prepares students to move into clinical or macro social work practice.  Students primarily attend face to face classes at the main UH campus and have access to two ares of specialized practice, all four specializations and our four dual degree programs. Face to Face students attend on a full-time basis. The Face to Face program is primarily a day-time program. 

What courses do Face to Face students take and how long will it take to complete the MSW program?
The program consists of 16 credit hours of foundation courses, and 47 credit hours of advanced courses. As required for all of our MSW enrollment models, students must complete a minimum of 63 semester credit hours in order to meet the MSW degree requirements. Face to face students complete the program in 2 years.

Is advanced standing available?
Applicants with a BSW degree can apply for advanced standing status, allowing for a waiver of 25 credit hours. 

When are classes held?
Face to face students take 4 – 5 classes per semester primarily during the day but a few evening sections are available. Classes are offered in three hour blocks once a week. Typically face to face students are in class 2 – 2 ½ days a week and in a field practicum 2 – 3 days per week. Part-time students take 2 – 3 classes per semester.  A few evening classes are available. 

Can I take some courses from the Face to Face program and some from the hybrid and online programs? Can I switch my enrollment status during the program?
Students must stay within the enrollment option to which they apply. Face to Face students are not able to move to either the online or hybrid weekend college options. If a student decides to switch from the Face to Face program, they may need to reapply to the GCSW.

When will I complete my field hours?
Face to Face students complete their field work during the work hours between Mondays – Fridays, 8 – 5.  Students are typically in field for 16 – 20 hours per week.  For the advanced field placement, students may be required by the agency to be in their placement for up to 24 hours per week.

When do I register?
Registration instructions are provided during your mandatory summer advising meetings that precede your first semester of enrollment. Please see your confirmation form for a list of meeting dates and times. All incoming students must attend one of the summer advising sessions.

Is financial aid available?
Financial aid is available for students taking 5 hours or more in one semester. To find out more about federal loans and grants, contact the UH Financial Aid Office at 713-743-1010 or see their website You will also have an opportunity to apply for GCSW scholarships.