Information Sessions for Prospective Applicants
Recognizing that many prospective applicants have questions about the M.S.W. program, the GCSW offers a series of information sessions during the year. Interested persons can register for an information meeting by calling (713) 743-8075 or emailing email@example.com.
Fall Admissions: The deadline for submitting applications (for all applicants) to the GCSW is March 1st. Late applications may be accepted based on space availability.
*To be eligible for Advanced Standing, applicants must hold a BSW degree.
Admissions Requirements and Necessary Documentation
To be considered for unconditional admission to the M.S.W. Program, applicants must:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. The undergraduate education must reflect a sound liberal arts foundation, including courses in the humanities, as well as in the social, behavioral, and biological sciences. You must submit official academic transcripts showing the date the degree was awarded.
- Have achieved a grade point average of 3.0 or better. (4.0 scale) for the last 60 hours of academic course work. We will calculate your GPA based on your transcripts.
- Submit a Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score. You must have official test scores sent to the university. Test scores should not be more than five years old. The University of Houston's institutional code for the GRE is 6870. For information about the GRE, call 1-866-473-4373 or go to their website at www.ets.org. You may apply without scores, but must submit them prior to enrollment in the program. We recommend you submit scores no later than May 1st.
- Recommendations are required from persons who can address your ability and potential for graduate education and professional social work practice (i.e., former professors, employment supervisors, professional colleagues). If you graduated from college within the last 5 years, one recommendation from a professor or instructor is required. If you are applying for Advanced Standing, one of your three recommendations must be from your faculty advisor or chairperson of your B.S.W. Program. For all applicants: if more than one of the three recommendations is personal, the file will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed. At least two references should be academic or professional.
- Submit a personal narrative statement that describes your interest in social work and your commitment to social and economic justice. Specific instructions for the narrative statement are provided on the MSW Application Checklist page.
Persons who hold a nonimmigrant type visa have additional application requirements. Please refer to the University of Houston's information for International Applicants.
A nonrefundable $60.00 application fee, payable by check or money order must accompany your application. Any application received after March 1st (fall) is a late application; a non-refundable additional late fee of $50.00 will be charged.
An additional fee of $75.00 is charged for international applicants.
Note: Proficiency in English. Any student, prior to admission or during their course of study, may be required to demonstrate English proficiency through submission of a satisfactory score on a test designated by the associate dean of the college. Students whose written or spoken English skills appear to be marginal (i.e., they may impede academic success and/or reflect communication problems as a social work practitioner) may be required to seek instruction outside the college.
Application Fee Waivers
Public Service and Volunteer Groups
University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work supports several public service and volunteer organizations by waiving the application fee of $60 for current or former volunteers/employees of Teach for America, Peace Corp and Americorp. If an applicant of one of these organizations is admitted to the GCSW, they also receive the possibility for a deferral, on admission and any scholarships they receive.
To receive the application fee waiver, include a letter indicating that you are a member or alumnus/ae of one of the three organizations listed above and include your mailing address and email address.
University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work also offers application fee waivers for McNair Scholars applying to the MSW program. To receive the application fee waiver, please include a verification letter along with your application to the MSW Admissions Office.