Skip to main content


In most cases and with the exception of Canadian citizens, workers approved for temporary (nonimmigrant) classification, or those already in the U.S. in temporary (nonimmigrant) status, require a valid visa stamping in the passport to be able to enter the U.S. and receive the pertinent status that authorizes them employment at the UH.  An exception to this rule is traveling to Canada, Mexico or the U.S.-adjacent islands and retuning in less than 30 days while the I-94 card remains valid.

Visa-stamping processes at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad may take weeks or months to complete depending upon appointment availability and delays in security checks.  It is imperative that the worker plan the stamping of the visa in the passport well ahead of time to ensure the return to the UH employment obligations in a timely fashion.