Reading Specialist Certification
The University of Houston College of Education can help you become a certified reading specialist through our M.Ed. in curriculum and instruction program. Select the emphasis in reading, language arts and literacy. This program is offered online only.
After being admitted into the University of Houston, you also must be admitted into the College of Education’s reading specialist certification program. This is a state requirement for all educator-prep programs. Students should look for more information from the College after being accepted to UH.
Basic requirements include:
- Having a GPA of 2.5 or higher (based on last degree earned)
- Holding a valid Texas teacher certification
- Having at minimum a bachelor’s degree
UH typically has a high admission rate for those who meet the state requirements.
Once formally admitted in the certification program, you must complete the following:
- 200+ clock hours of content and pedagogy (5+ courses)
- For the master's degree, additional courses will be required.
- 160+ practicum hours
- 135+ observation minutes by a UH field supervisor
To earn certification, you must:
- Successfully complete all coursework.
- Complete all required practicum hours and observations.
- Complete the degree program.
- Have two years of classroom teaching experience in a public or accredited private school.
- Hold at minimum a master’s degree.
- Pass the state TExES certification exam.
- Learn more about testing and setting up required accounts online.