Graduation is a very special time for both students and their families. College Commencements are wonderful ceremonies that are tailored especially for that college and include individual recognition of each student as their names are called and they walk across the stage. It is also where degrees are officially conferred upon graduating students.
Each commencement ceremony lasts approximately 1½ to 2 hours. See the College Commencement schedule for more information pertaining to your student’s college.
Safety at College Commencement Ceremonies
Although the University of Houston does not anticipate any security concerns during the College Commencements, we will be taking special measures to ensure the safety of everyone who attends our ceremonies.
The following items are prohibited on campus and at the off-campus venues:
- Illegal drugs/paraphernalia
- Weapons of any kind, including firearms and knives
- Animals (except service animals to aid guests with disabilities)
The following items will not be allowed at the venues:
- Aerosol cans (i.e. mace, pepper spray, etc.)
- Air horns or other distracting noisemakers
- Balloons or other items, such as Frisbees, beach balls, etc.
Security personnel will be screening for these items at the venues. Please note that UH is a tobacco-free environment. We also respectfully request that all cell phones be silenced during the procession and ceremony. Your understanding and cooperation are appreciated.