Buffalo Soldiers National Museum
The Buffalo Soldiers National Museum was founded in 2001 by Vietnam Veteran and African American Military Historian Captain Paul J. Matthews. The private collection of military artifacts that Captain Matthews collected for 30 years became the foundation for the museum. It now boasts the largest collection of African American Military memorabilia in the World. Our mission is to educate, preserve, promote and perpetuate the history, tradition and outstanding contributions of the Buffalo Soldier and African American soldiers.
Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday 10:00 am-5:00 pm
Events: Monday-Friday 9:00am-12 midnight, Sunday 1:00pm-6:00pm
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The following are desirable for job success:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in all Microsoft programs
- Professional telephone ability
- Problem solving skills
- Take initiative
- Interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Professional appearance
Students must be enrolled in a certificate program that involves business, leadership, marketing, technology or history or in a undergraduate or graduate program at an accredited institution.
Students must have a genuine interest in History.
- Students will be trained as museum docents and provide patrons with guided tours
- Students will be responsible for administrative and office level duties
- Students will assist with gift shop performing point of sale transactions, inventory and manage store displays
- Students will assist with grant research, business plans, marketing initiatives that are museum related
- Students will assist with library cataloging and collections procedures
- Students will take part in educational planning and programming
- Students will have the opportunity to learn the nonprofit sector and shadow experienced professionals
- Students will have the opportunity to take part of the event planning process in our venue rental department
The University of Houston is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution. Minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.