Actuarial Science Winter Camp- Exam (P) Preparation Probability Exam Preparation
Hosted by the University of Houston Department of Mathematics and supported by Corebridge Financial.
(December 15, 2022—January 15, 2023)
Are you interested in Actuarial Science? If you are, trust the experts to help you!
Exam P (Probability) covers calculus-based probability. It will test a candidate's knowledge of the fundamental probability tools for quantitatively assessing risk. A thorough command of the supporting calculus is assumed. Additionally, a very basic knowledge of insurance and risk management is assumed. Knowledge of Probability is REQUIRED.
We are pleased to announce our new Camp Instructor, Mr. Sean Gillings (ASA) , an experienced Actuary and Math Educator! Sean received a Master of Science degree in Actuarial Science from Temple University and is an active member of IABA and Big Brothers Big Sisters of America. Sean has been involved in tutoring (specializing in test-prep) for 10 years and has had a career in Actuarial Science since 2014. He's worked for AIG for over 6 years and currently is an active Actuary for Citizens Inc. in Austin, Texas.
It is rare to find a unique individual who loves to teach mathematics and who has many years of experience as an Actuary, teach our camp! The Department of Mathematics is elated to have Sean at the helm, helping us move forward towards our camp goals!
Registration Fee Total: $450 (processing/banking fees included)
*New* Class Times: 10AM—1PM & 6—8PM; Click here to see specific days listed below (Click here for the camp schedule).
Class Location: Online
Link to the virtual classroom: Zoom (link will be provided to registered participants of the camp)
Visitor parking options: N/A
* An intensive program with 19 sessions totaling 48 class hours
* Led by Mr. Sean Gillings, an experienced Actuary and Math Educator
* $100 discount for Gamma Iota Sigma members
* $100 discount for Early-bird Registration - December 1, 2022
* $50 discount for students with MATH 3338 in Spring 2022—Fall 2022
* Participate in seminars hosted by Professional Actuaries from Corebridge Financial: TBD
Note: applicable discounts can be stacked.
See below for the Winter Camp Flyer
For more information contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Camp/Event Details
The course syllabus will be provided to registered participants via email.
- Click this LINK to register for the Actuary Camp
- Click this LINK to see our previous Actuary Camp participants.
- Click this LINK to see testimonials from our previous camp participants that passed Exam (P) after finishing the camp.
- Inaugural Actuary Camp Orientation Seminar
- Past P-Exam Camp Events, hosted by AIG: Winter 2019 Seminar/Workshop Day ; Winter 2020 Seminar/Workshop Day ; Summer 2021 Seminar/Workshop day ; Winter 2021 Seminar/Workshop day, Summer 2022 Seminar/Workshop day
P-Exam Camp Administrators:
- Dr. James West (P-Exam Camp Mentor/Camp Director): Dr. West will occasionally send important information to you about the Actuary Career Path, as well as dates in which you can sign up for the P-Exam. He can be contacted at email@example.com
- Dr. Jiwen He (Department Chairman/Camp Director): He can be contacted at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Tai McAlister (Communications Manager/Camp Director): email@example.com
P-Exam Camp Instructors:
- Sean Gillings (Winter 2022—current)
- Gregory Hemenway (Winter 2020—Summer 2022)
- Mahmood Ghasemi (Winter 2021)
- Mohammad Daneshvar (Winter 2020—Summer 2021)
Still not sure if you can attend because of a possible conflict with your schedule, but you want to take advantage of the Early-Bird registration discount? E-mail us before 12/01/22 (11:59 pm) with your Name, Student ID and the Times/Days in which you are available during the Winter Camp dates. We may be able to accommodate you and still allow you to apply the Early-bird discount after 12/01/22. Specified class days: [(Th) 12/15, (F) 12/16, (M) 12/19, (Tu) 12/20, (W) 12/21, (Th) 12/22, (Tu) 12/27, (W) 12/28, (Th) 12/29, (F) 12/30, (M) 01/02/23, (W) 01/04, (Sa) 01/07, (Su) 01/08, (M) 01/09, (W) 01/11, (F) 01/13, (Sa) 01/14, (Su) 01/15/23]
*Passing the P-Exam (UH students only): It is imperative to take the P-Exam quickly after completing the camp. If you take the P-Exam no longer than 3 months after you complete one of our camps, and pass, we will reimburse you for the P-Exam fee. Please contact us and provide us with a scanned image of your P-Exam score confirming that you passed, as well as the fee amount (this can be found on your email receipt). Note: All requests for reimbursement, including required documentation, must be submitted to the department business office no later than 60 days after the date of purchase.
*Re-enrollment into a Camp: If you previously participated in our camp and would like to register for another camp session, for a refresher course, please contact us for a potential discount on the new registration camp fee.
*Refund Policy: Depending on the situation, camp registration refunds may be available. However, we will not refund processing/banking fees to the participant at any time. The potential refund paid will be a full or partial purchase price minus processing/banking fees.
*Note: To register, you will need to create a myNSM Store account. After you select the registration option and click "check out" you will then be prompted to login or create the myNSM Store account. Be sure that the Billing Address associated with your Credit Card must match the address that you registered when creating your NSM Store Account, or you will receive an error.
*Like your experience with the myNSM Store? Rate us at this link.
Corebridge Financial is diligently looking to hire UH Math Majors as an actuaries. Here's how they want to make that happen:
- Register for the P-Exam: [CBT dates: January 12—23, 2023] or [Paper/pencil date: January 12, 2023]. Registration Deadlines: (CBT & Paper/Pencil) 12/13/22
- [CBT dates: March 09—20, 2023] or [Paper/pencil date: N/A]. Registration Deadlines: (CBT only) 02/07/23
- [CBT dates: May 13—24, 2023] or [Paper/pencil date: May 13, 2023]. Registration Deadlines: (CBT Paper/Pencil) 04/11/23
- [CBT dates: July 14—25, 2023] or [Paper/pencil date: N/A]. Registration Deadlines: (CBT only) 06/13/23
- [CBT dates: September 13—24, 2023] or [Paper/pencil date: September 13, 2023]. Registration Deadlines: (CBT & Paper/Pencil) 08/15/23
- [CBT dates: November 10—21, 2023] or [Paper/pencil date: N/A.] Registration Deadlines: (CBT only) 10/10/23
- SOA Probability Exam Syllabi for 2023
- Attend the Spring 2023 Math Meet and Greet
- Register for the Actuarial P-Exam Camp (December'22/January '23) participate and complete
- Attend both Corebridge Financial seminars during the Actuarial Camp (have your resume ready to submit to me before this event)
- Take the P-Exam and pass it (Corebridge Financial will refund your registration fee amount if you pass!)
- Apply to Corebridge Financial's Internship Program - Summer 2023 (ideal candidate is Sophomore or Junior)
- Complete the Summer Internship and potentially be offered a position after graduation!
- Examination Schedule: https://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/exam-day-info/exam-schedules/
- Registration link: https://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/registration/edu-registration/
- Probability Exam Syllabus for January 2023
- Examination Rules: https://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/exam-day-info/edu-cbt-add-rules/
As of 02/08/21, the current VEE-approved courses, offered at the University of Houston, are displayed below:(UPDATE this)