The UH Department of Mathematics awards both Masters and Doctoral degrees for work in a variety of areas of pure and applied mathematics. Currently around 150 graduate students are enrolled each regular semester. The students are diverse with more than 40 being international students from over twelve different nationalities. About 80 students each semester are supported by the department as teaching assistants, tutors, graders or in similar positions.
There are different admissions requirements for the different degrees but the expectation is that all graduate students have a solid mathematical background equivalent to a UH undergraduate degree in mathematics. Such a student should successfully complete a Master's degree in two years or less of full time study.
Degree Plans Offered
(2023-2024 catalog: active)
- Ph.D. - Doctorate Degree in Mathematics [Graduate Catalog]
- M.S. - Master of Science in Mathematics [Graduate Catalog]
- M.S. - Master of Science in Applied Mathematics [Graduate Catalog]
- M.S. - Master of Science in Statistics and Data Science [Graduate Catalog]
- M.A. - Master of Arts in Mathematics (Online program) [Graduate Catalog]
- NDO and Pre-Grad - Non-degree Objective and Pre-grad Programs. If you would like to take graduate course in Mathematics, not pursuing a degree, please view the Non-degree Objective page for more information; or learn how to become a Pre-graduate.
- Taking Graduate Classes - (Plus–18 Partnership)
- William Fitzgibbon, Director of Graduate Studies
- Jennifer May, Assistant Director of Graduate Studies
- Neha Valji, Graduate Advisor
Additional Information and Resources
Research - Major areas of research in the department
Admissions - Admission requirements and Financial Support
New Students - Information for incoming new students
Departmental Graduate Brochure - a brochure outlining the Department of Mathematics graduate programs
NSM Online Teaching Tools and Instructions
COVID-19 UH Updates
*Note: The correct designation for degrees on the transcript, will be denoted as: M.S. or M.A. or Ph.D.