Associate Professor of Organic Geochemistry, Stable Isotope Geochemistry
Ph.D., Geology, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, MN (2006)
Office: 328B SR1
Experimental Organic Geochemistry Laboratory
- GEOL 1330 Physical Geology
- GEOL 3370 Mineralogy
- GEOL 6343 Organic Geochemistry
- GEOL 6344 Light Stable Isotope Geochemistry
- GEOL 6396 Geochemistry/Petrology Seminar
My research interests are in organic geochemistry, with a focus on understanding formation and interaction of organic compounds in geological processes. By integrating laboratory experiments with an array of advanced analytical techniques, including stable isotope, chemical, and mineral surface analyses, the ultimate goal is to advance our knowledge on organic reactions and their roles in the evolution of organic matter and formation of energy resources.
Current projects include:
- CAREER: Comprehensive chemical and isotopic characterization of abiotic organic synthesis: An experimental study and its implication for organic formation in hydrothermal systems. Funded by National Science Foundation (NSF) Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program.
- Characterization of source rocks and assessment of hydrocarbon generation potential in gypsum-salt sequences in marine sedimentary basins. Funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) and SINOPEC.
- Experimental study of carbon and hydrogen isotope equilibrium between hydrocarbons and CO2 following their generation and/or expulsion from source rocks in sedimentary basins. Funded by American Chemical Society (ACS) Petroleum Research Fund (PRF).
Selected Publications (*: student under supervision)
- Chen X.*, Liu Q., Meng Q., Zhu D., Liu W., and Fu Q. (2019) Assessing effects of sulfate minerals on petroleum generation in sedimentary basins using hydrous pyrolysis: I. Light hydrocarbons. Marine and Petroleum Geology, DOI: 10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2019.07.004
- Chang C.*, Fu Q., and Wang X. (2019) Linear correlation of Ba and Eu contents by hydrothermal activities: A case study in Hetang Formation, South China. Geofluids, Volume 2019, Article ID 9797326, DOI: 10.1155/2019/9797326.
- Liu Q., Zhu D., Meng Q., Liu J., Wu X., Zhou B., Fu Q., and Jin Z. (2019) The scientific connotation of oil and gas formations under deep fluids and organic-inorganic interaction. Science China Earth Sciences 62, 507-528.
- Liu Q., Wu X., Wang X., Jin Z., Zhu D., Meng Q., Huang S., Liu J., and Fu Q. (2019) Carbon and hydrogen isotopes of methane, ethane, and propane: A review of genetic identification of natural gas. Earth-Science Reviews 190, 247-272.
- Chang C.*, Hu W., Fu Q., Cao J., Wang X., Wan Ye, and Yao S. (2018) Characteristics and formation processes of (Ba, K, NH4)-feldspar and cymrite from a lower Cambrian black shale sequence in Anhui Province, South China. Mineralogical Magazine 82, 1-21.
- Chang C.*, Hu W., Fu Q., Cao J., Wang X., and Yao S. (2016) Characterization of trace elements and carbon isotopes across the Ediacaran-Cambrian boundary in Anhui Province, South China: Implications for stratigraphy and paleoenvironment reconstruction. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences 125, 58-70.
- Meng Q., Sun Y., Tong J., Fu Q., Zhu J., Zhu D., and Jin Z. (2015) Distribution and geochemical characteristics of hydrogen in natural gas from the Jiyang Depression, eastern China. Acta Geologica Sinica (English Edition) 89, 1616-1624.
- Fu Q., Socki R. A., and Niles P. B. (2015) Evaluating reaction pathways of hydrothermal abiotic organic synthesis at elevated temperatures and pressures using carbon isotopes. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 154, 1-17.
- Qian Q., Parajuli B., Fu Q., Yan K., Gossage J. L., Ho T. C. (2013) Assessment of acid deposition effects on water quality of the upper Rio Grande river section in Texas. Journal of Water Resource and Protection 5, 792-800.
- Lu P., Fu Q., Seyfried W. E. Jr., Hedges S. W., Soong Y., Jones K., and Zhu C. (2013) Coupled alkali feldspar dissolution and secondary mineral precipitation in batch systems: 2. New experiments with supercritical CO2 and implications for carbon sequestration. Applied Geochemistry 30, 75-90.
Recent Conference Abstracts
- Liu Q., Zhu D., Meng Q., Liu J., Wu X., Zhou B., Fu Q., and Jin Z. (2018) Organic-inorganic interaction and their effects on deep petroleum systems. AAPG Geoscience Technology Workshop, Deep and Ultra Deep Petroleum Systems, Beijing, China, October 26-28, 2018.
- Fu Q., Chen X., and Seyfried W. E., Jr. (2018) Experimental study of generation kinetics for abiotic methane in hydrothermal systems. Goldschmidt conference 2018.
- Chen X.*, Liu Q., Meng Q., Zhu D., Liu W., and Fu Q. (2018) Light alkane generation in hydrous pyrolysis with gypsum. Goldschmidt conference 2018.
- Liu Q., Zhu D., Meng Q., Liu J., Wu X., Fu Q., Zhou B., and Jin Z. (2018) Oil and gas formation under organic-inorganic interaction in crust-mantle system. Goldschmidt conference 2018.
- Fu Q. and Chen X. (2017) Experimental assessment of carbon isotopes of light hydrocarbons under different redox conditions. AGU Fall Meeting 2017, Abstract # B32A-01.
- Cino C., Seyfried W. E., Tan C., and Fu Q. (2017) Geochemistry of high temperature vent fluids in Yellowstone Lake: Dissolved carbon and sulfur concentrations and isotopic data. AGU Fall Meeting 2017, Abstract # V11A-0324.
- Fu Q., Chen X., Chang C., Hu W., Liu Q., and Meng Q. (2017) The effect of redox conditions on carbon isotopes of hydrocarbons during hydrous pyrolysis. AAPG annual convention 2017, Houston, Texas.
- Fu Q., Chang C., Hu W., Liu Q., and Meng Q. (2016) The effect of redox conditions on carbon isotopes of alkanes from Type-I oil shale: A hydrous pyrolysis experiment. Goldschmidt conference 2016, Abstract #3343.
- Fu Q., Locke D. R., and Niles P. B. (2015) Experimental study of carboxylic acid oxidation under Martian conditions: Chemical and isotope characterization. Goldschmidt conference 2015, Abstract #3881.
- Mujib M. Z. and Fu Q. (2015) Carbon isotopes of evolved CO2 during acetic acid oxidation by different oxidizing agents. 46th Lunar Planet. Sci. Conf., Abstract #2954.
- Fu Q., Haynie K. L., Gong C., Darnell M., and Khan S. (2015) Tar balls on Elmer's Island, Louisiana: Identifying technology and geochemical characterization. 2015 Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill and Ecosystem Science Conference, Houston, Texas.