Frequently Asked Questions - University of Houston
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

I cannot find the major “Computer Science.”

We are listed under the College of Natural Science and Mathematics.

Do you have an evening, online, or weekend program?


Can the GRE be waived?

GRE waivers may be available to applicants who have graduated from UH with an undergraduate degree within 3 years preceding the term for which they are applying. A minimum of a 3.4 cumulative GPA is required. This is a pilot program and may be discontinued in future terms. Visit the UH Graduate School website for details.

No other GRE waivers are available.

Is there a minimum GRE score required for admission?

While no minimum GRE scores are used to exclude students, ours is a competitive application.  In general, the department expects a GRE (verbal + quantitative) 305 although for applicants with very strong transcripts or research experience a few points lower can be competitive. More emphasis is placed on quantitative scores due to the high mathematics content of computer science. The analytical score is also considered.

Is there a minimum TOEFL/IELTS score required for admission?

The University sets the minimum score for the English test required by most International students: TOEFL paper (550), internet-based (79), or the IELTS (6.5). No minimum writing sub-scores, but higher score are more competitive.

Do you have part-time students?

Yes, anyone not on an F-1 or J-1 visa (required to be full-time) can be a part-time student. If you plan to attend while employed, please note that we do not have an online degree program, or an evening or weekend program. Our degree requires that you be able to take at least some classes in the morning or afternoon. Most of our classes are scheduled either Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday, so you would only need two days flexible each semester.

Do you have conditional admissions?

Conditional admission can be granted under certain, rare circumstances to U.S. students and permanent residents. Conditional admission can not be granted to international students due to the rules imposed by the Department of Homeland Security.

My bachelor's degree is not in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Information Technology. Can I still apply for the graduate program?

Yes. If your bachelor’s degree is not in the computer science, computer engineering, or the information technology field, then you will probably need prerequisites. Please visit the Admissions Prerequisite/Deficiency Coursework page to see the list of prerequisite courses enforced by the department.

For U.S. citizens, permanent residents and people with H-1 or H-4 visa, it is often beneficial to you to enroll as an undergraduate (post-baccalaureate or 'PB') student to finish your prerequisites, before applying to the master's or Ph.D. program. This prevents them from counting against the five-year limit or the graduate GPA. It also gives you the chance to experience computer science classes before committing to a graduate program.

I am already a graduate student at the University of XYZ in the United States. How can I transfer to UH?

There is no separate graduate "transfer" application. You will apply as a new applicant.

How many credits can I transfer from the University of XYZ to UH?

In our department, MS students coming from another MS program have a limit on transfer credit of 2 classes (6 hours) with approval from the Director of Graduate Studies. The classes must be Computer Science graduate level regular lecture classes and have a 'B' or better grade. Transfer credit is decided during the second semester of attendance.