Skip to main content

J-1 Request Procedures

The International Student and Scholar Services Office (ISSSO) processes departmental requests for J-1 exchange visitors, guides the worker and their hiring departments in their J-1 processes, and provides special services related to the exchange visitor’s non-immigrant status.  Information is available to guide staff that want to invite exchange visitors from ISSSO, with specific Information for Colleges and Departments wishing to sponsor J-1 scholars, and more information about J-1 Research Scholars and Professors.

To request a J-1 exchange visitor, departments must submit the DS-2019 request form along with the appropriate fee payment to ISSSO. The request process is outlined on the ISSSO website.

DS-2019 request forms are reviewed for eligibility/inaccuracies/and completeness. Incomplete or inaccurate requests may require additional processing time. Once all documentation is received by ISSSO, the DS-2019 document can be processed internally. The prospective exchange visitor will then use this document to request a J-1 visa from a US Consulate overseas, or if currently inside the United States, the prospective J-1 exchange visitor may work with ISSSO to file for a change of non-immigrant status to J-1 or transfer their J-1 records to UH.

If you are offering a paid internship, payable as a stipend, please also download the Payments to Non-Employees and Non-Contractors form and attach to your payment voucher.

Student Center North. Room 203
4465 University Dr.
Houston, TX 77204-3024
713.743.5065 voice
713.743.5079 fax