Skip to main content

Visa Waiver (VWP)

This information is for UH departments who have hired or are interested in hiring a foreign national. This information does not constitute legal advice.

The Visa Waiver (VWP) is available to nationals of certain countries and allows them to visit the U.S. for up to 90 days in B-2 (Tourist) or B-1 (Business Visitor) visa capacity but without the need for the B visa.

The Department of State provides the following categories of B-1-related activities: professional athlete, business investment venture, conference, meeting, trade show or business event attendee, exposition or trade show employees of foreign exhibitors at international fairs (excludes government representatives), lecturer or speaker, researcher, sales, service engineer (commercial, industrial), and training. The B-1 visitor may not receive salary or income from a U.S.-based company.

Lecturer or speaker: "No salary or income from a U.S. based company/entity, other than expenses incidental to the visit. If an honorarium will be received, activities can last no longer than nine days at any single institution or organization. Payment must be offered by an institution or organization described in INA 212(g). An honorarium is for services conducted for the benefit of the institution or entity and the visa holder must not have accepted such payment or expenses from more than five institutions or organizations over the last six months." (USCIS)

Researcher: "Independent research, no salary/income from a US based source, or benefit to US institution." (USCIS)

Please visit the Department of State’s website for the most current list of the VWP participating countries