Skip to main content

EB-1 Outstanding Professor or Researcher

This information is for the University of Houston hiring departments who have hired or are interested in hiring a foreign national. This information does not constitute legal advice.

This classification is reserved for professors and researchers who have received international recognition for their "outstanding" academic contributions in their field of endeavor.  The individual must demonstrate at least three years of experience in teaching or research in the field, and enter the U.S. in a tenure or tenure-track teaching or research position at the University.  Recognition as outstanding in the field may be demonstrated through at least two items from the following list provided by the USCIS:

  1. Receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement;
  2. Membership in associations that require their members to demonstrate outstanding achievements;
  3. Published material in professional publications written by others about the individual's work in the academic field;
  4. Participation, either on a panel or individually, as a judge of the work of others in the same or allied academic field;
  5. Original scientific or scholarly research contributions in the field;
  6. Authorship of scholarly books or articles (in scholarly journals with international circulation) in the field.


This petition requires sponsorship by a U.S. employer; normally a college or university.  This petition does not require the filing of a labor certification application with the Department of Labor.