The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences offers graduate courses in the humanities and the social and health sciences. The graduate programs in CLASS provide advanced academic instruction and expertise in the methods and skills of each discipline.
Degree and Program Information
CLASS offers PhD degrees, the highest level of academic study, in seven of our departments. These rigorous, advanced programs require coursework, extensive independent research, and the creation of an original contribution to knowledge through the doctoral dissertation.
CLASS offers the following doctoral degrees:
- Department of Economics: PhD Economics
- Department of English: PhD English and American Literature; PhD English and American Literature with a Concentration in Rhetoric, Composition, and Pedagogy; PhD Literature and Creative Writing
- Department of Health and Human Performance: PhD Kinesiology
- Department of Hispanic Studies: PhD Spanish
- Department of History: PhD History
- Department of Political Science: PhD Political Science
- Department of Psychology: PhD Clinical Psychology; PhD Industrial/Organizational Psychology; PhD Social Psychology; PhD Developmental, Cognitive, & Behavioral Neuroscience
All departments and schools in the college offer master's degrees, which provide in-depth instruction and preparation, beyond the bachelor's level, in a particular field. Students may use the master's degree to prepare themselves to move directly into the workforce or as a stepping stone to doctoral studies. All master's degrees require a significant amount of coursework, and they also require a master's thesis, comprehensive examinations, or other capstone project to attain the degree.
CLASS offers the following master's degrees:
- Jack J. Valenti School of Communication: MA Mass Communication; MA Public Relations Studies; MA Health Communication
- Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders: MA Communication Disorders
- Department of Comparative Cultural Studies: MA Anthropology
- Department of Economics: MA Applied Economics
- Department of English*: MFA Creative Writing; MA English and American Literature
- Department of Health and Human Performance*: Master of Science in Nutrition; Master of Arts in Sport and Fitness Administration; Master of Athletic Training
- Graduate Certificate Program
The following Graduate Certificate Program is offered in the department: Graduate Certificate in Sport and Fitness Operations Management
- Graduate Certificate Program
- Department of Hispanic Studies*: MA Spanish
- Department of History*: MA History
- Department of Modern and Classical Languages: MA World Cultures and Literatures
- Department of Philosophy: MA Philosophy
- Department of Political Science*: MA Political Science
- Public Administration Program: MPA Public Administration
- Department of Sociology: MA Sociology
* It is possible to continue on into doctoral studies in your field at the University of Houston after completion of your master's degree in these CLASS departments.
CLASS offers a number of Graduate Certificates; some are interdisciplinary while others lie within a particular discipline. Graduate Certificates consist of 9-12 graduate credits in a specific area, offering students a core of specialized knowledge to enhance their expertise and credentials. Most graduate certificates are open to both in-program degree students and to post-baccalaureate students who wish to pursue the certificate only.
CLASS offers the following Graduate Certificates:
- African American Studies Program: African American Studies
- Department of English: Translation Studies; Empire Studies
- Department of Health and Human Performance: Sport and Fitness Operations Management
- Department of Hispanic Studies: Spanish as a Heritage Language
- Department of Modern and Classical Languages: Global Cinema
- Interdisciplinary: Global Energy Development and Sustainability
- Women’s Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program: Women’s Studies
Dean's Office Contacts