Skip to main content

Financial Assistance

Financial support is available to doctoral students in the form of Graduate Tuition Fellowships, graduate assistantships and scholarships.

Graduate Tuition Fellowship

The Graduate Tuition Fellowship (GTF) is a competitive award program that covers tuition and mandatory fees for nine credit hours per term (fall and spring). The fellowships are renewable for students who meet departmental standards and requirements.

Graduate Assistantships

A graduate assistantship requires students to work as a research assistant, teaching assistant or clinical assistant. Students receive a stipend funded by the mentor’s research grant funds or by the department or college. Assignments are made by the department chair.

Students who receive stipends are expected not to take outside employment during the regular fall and spring semesters as the stipend already covers 20 hours of employment per week.


Students are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to seek out other sources of funding, such as external scholarships.

Each student is responsible for being familiar with the eligibility criteria for their respective award(s). Please visit the graduate school’s How to Fund Graduate School page for additional information.

University Funds

The University also offers a variety of financial assistance packages to undergraduate and graduate students. For further information, contact the UH Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at 713.743.9090.