Student Records

Note: Most requests or change of information forms are available at department Web sites (e.g., Registration and Academic Records). Go to for further information.

Change of address

Students can update and review their address online through myUH account at

Students will not be excused from penalties on the grounds that communications mailed from the University of Houston were not received if they have failed to report a new address.Students may update and review their address online through myUH account at

  • The University of Houston recognizes e-mail as an official medium for communication to its students. While U.S. Postal Service mail may also be used in some instances, fee bills, account statements and other critical documents will be delivered to currently enrolled students via e-mail correspondence only.
  • Each student is assigned an e-mail alias at the time of admission.
  • It is the responsibility of the student to ensure the UH e-mail alias points to a working e-mail address at all times. Students may update their e-mail address information by logging on to myUH account at
  • Any student may request an e-mail account from the University of Houston, to which the assigned alias may be pointed. Aliases may also be pointed to accounts outside the University. If a student chooses to have the alias point to a nonuniveristy account, the university cannot be responsible for the service.
  • Enrolled students who do no have the capability to access e-mail off campus will be able to access it on campus in locations such as the library, college service centers, campus kiosks, etc.
  • It is the student's responsibility to read e-mail correspondence frequently and consistently. The University recommends students read e-mails at least once a day.
  • Faculty may require the use of e-mail for completion of course work.
  • E-mail aliases are classified as directory information and may be listed in University of Houston directories unless students have a valid Request to Withhold or Release Public Information form on file in the Registrar's Office. Distribution of e-mail addresses both within the University and outside the University will follow the same guidelines that apply to other directory information.
  • Use of e-mail will be in compliance with the Computing Facilities User Guidelines, which may be viewed at The use of email for official university correspondence is prohibited by policy from the following: (1) intimidation or harassment, (2) conducting personal business or sending unsolicited messages to groups except as required to conduct university business, (3) political lobbying or campaigning, (4) violation of copyright laws by inappropriately distributing protected works, and (5) assuming another person's identity or role except when authorized for an administrative support role
  • Official university communications sent by e-mail are subject to the same privacy and records retention requirements and policies as other official university communications.
  • Responsibility for implementation and administration of this policy rests with the Executive Associate Vice President for Academic and Faculty Affairs.

return to top

Change of Major

A change of major is a formal procedure requiring official approval and documentation. Students must submit an Undergraduate General Petition form requesting a change of major. This form is filed by the student in the department in which she or he wishes to major. Approval from both the department chair and the college dean is required. Students should consult an advisor in the department of their intended major for help with the change of major process. For students who wish to major in Business, this process has been automated and is available online on the Bauer College of Business Web site under 'Student Services':

The senior vice president for academic affairs has approved the following guidelines for a change of major. (Note: This policy does not apply to the Colleges of Architecture, Law, Optometry, or Pharmacy, or to the Graduate College of Social Work.)

  1. Students changing majors within the university shall meet the same requirements as students seeking admission to an academic unit (department, school, or college) from outside the university who have completed the same number of semester credit hours.
  2. Students applying to transfer from one unit to another within the university shall not be required to supply copies of any records which are already on file within the university (such as transcripts). Performing and Fine Arts departments may require additional documentation for transfer. For more specific information, students should contact the unit into which they wish to transfer.

The university offers vocational and career planning services through University Career Services and through Counseling and Psychological Services. For academic information, as well as for help in coordinating career goals with academic plans, students may meet with academic advisors in the various departments and colleges, and Undergraduate Scholars at UH.

return to top

Change of Name

University records of a name are based upon applications for admission. Subsequent name changes, along with copies of documentation, should be promptly reported to the Registrar's Office, 128 Welcome Center.

return to top


Student Records: Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Notice of Student's Rights

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights are as follows:

  1. Students have the right to inspect and review their education records within 45 days of the day the University receives the request.
  2. Students have the right to request amendment of their education records that they believe are inaccurate or misleading. If the University denies a student requested amendment, the student has the right to a hearing regarding the requested amendment to his/her education record.
  3. Students have the right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information in their education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
  4. Students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. Such complaints may be sent to the

Family Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20202- 4605.


return to top

Directory Information

At its discretion the University of Houston may provide "directory information" to the general public without student consent. "Directory information" is defined by FERPA as follows:

  • Name
  • Address
  • University assigned E-mail address
  • Telephone listing
  • Major field of study
  • Date and place of birth
  • Dates of attendance
  • Degrees, awards, and honors received
  • Most recent previous education institution attended
  • Classification
  • Participation in officially recognized sports and activities
  • Height/weight (athletes only)
  • Enrollment status (undergraduate or graduate, full-time or part-time)

If a student does not want "directory information" regarding him or her to be released, the student must notify the Registrar's Office, 102 E Cullen Building, Houston, TX 77204-2027 in writing or by completing the Request to Withhold Public Information form, during the first week of class to ensure that information is not released by the university or published in the Student Directory. Students may also make this request though myUH account at Students are responsible for requesting the release of their information once a request for withholding "directory information" has been placed on record.

return to top

Disclosure of Education Records

The University of Houston will not disclose information from a student's education records without the written consent of the student, except in the following instances in which FERPA authorizes disclosure without prior student consent:

  1. To school officials who have a legitimate educational or administrative interest in the records. A school official is defined as a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, or support staff position (including the University's police department and health care staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Regents; or a person assisting another school official in performing his or her official duties. A school official has a legitimate education interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities.
  2. To other schools in which the student seeks to enroll.
  3. To authorized representatives of the U.S. Secretary of Education, the U.S. Comptroller General, and state and local educational authorities, in connection with certain state or federally supported education programs; and the U.S. Attorney General for law enforcement purposes.
  4. In connection with a student's request for or receipt of financial aid, as necessary to determine the eligibility, amount or conditions of the financial aid, or to enforce the terms and conditions of the aid.
  5. To state and local officials or authorities in accordance with state law.
  6. To organizations conducting studies for or on behalf of the University to develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; administer student aid programs; or improve instruction.
  7. To accrediting organizations to carry out their functions.
  8. To parents of "dependent" student as defined under the federal tax laws.
  9. To comply with a judicial order or a lawfully issued subpoena.
  10. To appropriate parties in connection with a health or safety emergency.
  11. As it relates to "directory information" unless the student restricts "directory information".
  12. To alleged victim of any crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense regarding the final results of any disciplinary proceeding conducted against the alleged perpetrator of that crime or offense with respect to that crime or offense, regardless of whether the student was found to have committed the violation.
  13. To the public regarding the final results of any disciplinary proceeding in which the student was alleged to have committed a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense and pursuant to the disciplinary proceeding the student was found to have violated a University disciplinary rule or policy.
  14. To parents of a student who is under the age of 21 regarding the student's violation of federal, state, or local law, or any University rule or policy, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance.
  15. To the court where the student has initiated legal action against the University or the University has initiated legal action against the student.

return to top

Procedure to Inspect Education Records

A student has the right to inspect his or her educational records and to challenge the contents. To review records, a student must make a request in writing to the Custodian of those records. (See Custodians of Recordsbelow.) The written request must identify as precisely as possible the record or records he or she wishes to inspect.

return to top

Procedure to Amend Education Records

If a student believes the information in his or her education record contains information that is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student's rights of privacy, the student should submit a written request for amendment to the appropriate custodian of the record (See the list of Custodians of Records below). The written request should clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed and specify why it is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student's rights of privacy. The University will notify the student within a reasonable time regarding whether or not the record will be amended. If the University denies the student's request for amendment of his or her record, the student has the right to a hearing regarding the requested amendment.

** Note: This procedure does not govern grade appeals.

return to top

Procedures for a Hearing Under FERPA

  1. To request a hearing pursuant to the University's denial of a student's request to amend information in his or her education record that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student's rights of privacy the student should submit a written request for a hearing that clearly identifies the part of the record the student wants changed and specifying why it is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student's rights of privacy to the custodian of the record that the student seeks to challenge.
  2. The University will hold a hearing within a reasonable time after receiving the student's written request for a hearing.
  3. The University will give the student notice of the date, time, and place of the hearing reasonably in advance of the hearing.
  4. The hearing will be conducted by an individual who does not have a direct interest in the outcome of the hearing. The hearing official will be appointed by the vice president to whom the custodian of the records in question reports.
  5. The student will be provided the opportunity to present evidence supporting his or her allegation that his or her education record contains information that is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student's rights of privacy. The student may, at his or her own expense, be assisted during the hearing by one individual, including legal counsel. The student must notify the hearing official no later than three (3) business days before the hearing that he or she will have legal counsel present at the hearing.
  6. The custodian of the record in question and the author of that record (if appropriate) will also be provided an opportunity to respond to the student's allegations.
  7. Upon hearing all of the evidence, the hearing official will render a written determination within a reasonable time after the hearing. The written determination will include a summary of the evidence and the reasons for the hearing official's determination.
  8. Any information in the student's education record that is determined to be inaccurate, misleading, or a violation of the student's rights of privacy will be amended with the correct information and the student will be notified in writing of the change.
  9. If it is determined that the student record is correct and does not merit amendment, the University will notify the student of his or her right to place a statement in the education record commenting on the information in the record, and/or presenting any reasons for disagreeing with the University's decision.
  10. Any statement placed by the student in his or her education record shall remain a part of the record for as long as the record is maintained by the University.

return to top

Custodians of Records


return to top

Catalog Publish Date: August 22, 2012
This Page Last Updated: September 7, 2011