Director of the Self, Motivation, and Relationship Theories (SMaRT) Lab
Director of Graduate Education
Ph.D., University of Rochester
B.S., Oregon State University
Heyne Building, Room 103C
Dr. Knee studies close relationships and interpersonal processes from a motivation perspective that incorporates personality, developmental, and situational influences on optimal individual and relational health.
- Implicit theories of relationships are specific beliefs that people bring with them into their relationships. Destiny belief concerns the stability of one's impressions about relationships. Growth belief concerns the stability of problems in relationships. These beliefs help guide how people perceive, initiate, and maintain romantic relationships
- Self-determination, or autonomy, in romantic relationships refers to fully endorsing one's own involvement rather than feeling coerced, guilty, or not knowing why one is in the relationship. One's degree of self-determination and autonomous investment has a great deal to do with how people approach and manage conflict in romantic relationships
- Relationship-contingent self-esteem is self-esteem that depends on one's relationship, and reflects a particular kind of unhealthy relationship investment. When one's self-regard is hooked on one's relationship, one is strongly influenced by relationship events and outcomes because of the implications those events have for the self
- Introduction to Social Psychology (undergraduate)
- Social Psychology Methodology (graduate)
- History and Theories of Social Psychology (graduate)
- Human Motivation (graduate)
- Human Motivation (undergraduate honors)
- Professional Development (graduate)
- Persuasion and Behavior (undergraduate honors)
*Hadden, B. W., *Rodriguez, L. M., Knee, C. R., DiBello, A. M., *Baker, Z. G., & (2016). An actor-partner interdependence model of attachment and need fulfillment in romantic dyads. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 7, 349-357. doi: 10.1177/1948550615623844
*Hadden, B. W., *Rodriguez, L. M., Knee, C. R., & *Porter, B. W. (2015). Relationship autonomy and support provision in romantic relationships. Motivation and Emotion, 39, 359-373. doi: 10.1007/s11031-014-9455-9
*Hadden, B. W. & Knee, C. R. (2015). Who am I in it for? Interpersonal goals and secure base support. Self and Identity, 14, 675-691. doi: 10.1080/15298868.2015.1062796
*Rodriguez, L. M., *Hadden, B. W., & Knee, C. R. (2015). Not all ideals are equal: Intrinsic and extrinsic ideals in relationships. Personal Relationships, 22, 138-152. doi: 10.1111/pere.12068
Hadden, B.W., Overup, C.S., & Knee, C. R. (2014). Removing the ego: Need fulfillment, self-image goals, and self-presentation. Self and Identity.
Rodriguez, L.R., Knee, C.R., & Neighbors, C. (2014). Relationships can drive some to drink: Relationship-contingent self-esteem and drinking problems. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships.
Knee, C.R., Hadden, B.W., Porter, B., & Rodriguez, L.M. (2013). Self-determination theory and romantic relationship processes. Personality and Social Psychology Review.
Wickham, R.E., & Knee, C.R. (2013). Examining temporal processes in diary studies. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin.
Wickham, R.E., & Knee, C. R. (2012). Interdependence theory and the actor-partner interdependence model: Where theory and method converge. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 16, 375-393.
Uysal, A., Lin, H.L., Knee, C. R., & Bush, A. (2012). The association between self-concealment from one's partner and relationship well-being. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 38, 39-51.
Uysal, A., Lin, H., & Knee, C.R. (2010). The role of need satisfaction in self-concealment and well-being. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 36, 187-199.
Knee, C. R., Canevello, A., Bush, A. L., & Cook, A. (2008). Relationship-contingent self-esteem and the ups and downs of romantic relationships. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 95, 608-627.
Patrick, H., Knee, C.R., Canevello, A., & Lonsbary, C. (2007). The role of need fulfillment in relationship functioning and well-being. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 92, 434-457.
Knee, C.R., Lonsbary, C., Canevello, A., & Patrick, H. (2005). Self-determination and conflict in romantic relationships. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 89, 6, 997-1009.