As you can imagine, the healthcare field is vast and there are a variety of career options that many students are often unaware of beyond the well-known paths of doctors and nurses.
If you are interested in healthcare but not sure of the particular career path to pursue, we encourage you to investigate some of these less well-known options:
- Anesthesiology Assistant
- Chiropractic Medicine
- Genetic Counseling
- Healthcare Administration
- Mental Health
- Naturopathic Medicine
- Orthotics & Prosthetics
- Podiatric Medicine
- Public Health
- Speech-Language Pathology
- Veterinary Medicine
Additional Resources and Degree Options
- Explore Health Careers is a great resource for learning more about the myriad career options available in the field of healthcare.
- Houston Community College and MD Anderson's School of Health Professions both offer a variety of 1- to 2-year health science training programs at the undergraduate and graduate level.
- UT-Health Houston School of Dentistry offers the only Houston-area Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene.
- The University of Houston offers online training certificate programs in Dental Assistant, Phlebotomy Technician, Physical Therapy Aide, and many others.